Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Spark Plug Replacement
by Steve Stephens

This post describes my experience removing; inspecting; re-installing or replacing the spark plugs.

Be careful with this high dollar cowling!!

MVC-461S.JPG

There are three latches that hold the cowling down. One on each side and one in the front.

MVC-463S.JPG

Remove the plastic cover from the rear of the engine. There are four screws.

MVC-490S.JPG

MVC-491S.JPG

Remove each plug.

MVC-492S.JPG

Clean the plugs and re-gap them or replace them.

MVC-493S.JPG

MVC-494S.JPG

Before re-installing the plugs, I applied some anti-seize grease to the threads and some silicon boot lube to the porcelain area. This ensures the boots will come off easy next time, and the plugs will not seize up. You can pick up these small packets of anti-seize and boot lube at any auto parts store.

MVC-495S.JPG

MVC-496S.JPG

MVC-497S.JPG

MVC-499S.JPG

Carefully re-install the cowling.

MVC-505S.JPG

MVC-506S.JPG

Hope this helps someone.

Published by permission of HOTSPOT.

MMMmmmm... Bloody Knuckles! Sign of a great mechanic!! Great instructions and I am glad you mentioned the anti seize.

I think this is a great post, and I know it is an older one. I ma going through reviewing older posts and discovering what expierenced Triumph owners have had available to them. so this leads to a question, where did you get the spark plugs for your motor, the local Yamaha dealer or the auto parts store? Is there a difference in the plugs for an outboard? Should I stick to the local Yamaha repairman or buy them at West Marine or some other Marine store?

Added note: Just a tid-bit about anti-seize. Don't use the type that is copper based. It will gum up around salt water. Use the nickel based. Just something I picked up when I worked at Turkey Point Nuke plant. I use a material called Tef-Gel. You can get it at West Marine or other places. works great and further functions as protective barrier on all dissimilar metals. ie; between reel seat and rod mount. Lubes aluminum well. Also best I've found for preventing galling of stainless steel nuts. Use very little. A little goes a long way. :)

Dave you should stick with the plugs that Yamaha recommends. However, you can merely Google the sparkplug number, and pick your best price. Since you live a lot closer to the water than I do, ordering online might be more expensive than a local dealer when you incude shipping, but for me, livin' in the boonies as I do, most of my shopping for anything marine is done online.

One thing to add is keep the old plugs for when its time to winterize it. When you use fogging oil for winterizing and start the engine up in the spring some times the fogging oil will foul the plugs so I run the motor in the spring for 15 minutes and then put the newer plugs in.

Great writeup NC

HTR

I always use a torque wrench on spark plugs to make sure they are tightened evenly. I think the torque is 15-18 foot-pounds. Makes them run at the same temp and reduces rough running.

Back