Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
My parents own a small engine repair business (had a wrench in my hands at a young age as you can well figure) and I was talking to Dad the other night about using Stabil in fuel. He has seen instances of such stuff clumping up and finding such chuncks after going through / rebuilding some carbs from hard start / no run repairs. So one can just figure what it could do to a fuel injected engine :mad:

We suspect it was either old fuel treatment stock that somebody gotten off of the shelf, or it had developed a hole in the seal and "started" to collect moisture (like old brake fluid) either way we suspect it had started to go south on the shelf. Who knows, maybe the seal was damaged in handling :confused:

He recommended to me which I thought I would share the following advise to help save from such grief....
  • Make sure you look the bottle over and that it is still in a true "fluid" state (no chunky's floating around)
  • Maybe look for a stamped production date on the bottle if you can find one, and get the newest one on the shelf.
  • Be careful when opening and look the pour seal over as best as possible for prior breakage.
  • Pour the contents into a gallon gas can, then fill 1/2 way with fuel and shake up real well like you would premix 2 cycle oil in days past "before" pouring it into your fuel tank.
Last thing we all need though, is our preventive maintenance measures being the root cause of poor engine running :D

Back