Stripers from Moriches Bay

skisafe

Registered Member
Catch It & Cook It

This past summer, we headed out to an area of Moriches Baycalled "The Old Cut". It's about aquarter mile southwest of the inlet. As we got close to what is actually thetip of Fire Island, we anchored the boat in about 15 feet of water. We had asteady, incoming tide. The poles were rigged simply with striper hooks (7.0 Jhooks) on 3 foot leaders rigged about 2 feet up from the 4 ounce sinkers.
We were using whole fresh clams as bait. I leave the poles unattended in the rodholders so that we can have quite a few rods going at once. We also threw out a chum bucket with chopped clams. Within an hour, we had 6 fish, 2 of which were keepers measuring just over 30 inches each.
After docking and filleting both fish, I drove home and prepared dinner. It may sound simple, but I spread a couple of teaspoons of olive oil in a pan. Then I dice up some fresh garlic, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil from the garden. Add a few small pinches of sea salt and then season the filets with this mixture.
Set the grill on high and make sure the pan is covered. After 15 minutes open the pan so that you can gather the drippings, and after mixing them with a little more oil, pour this over the fish. In about 10 more minutes, once the filets are white and flaky, dinner is served. Add a salad to keep up the healthy theme!
There's nothing like cooking and dining on the catch of the day!

Back