Susquehanna Flats

D

delawaredogfish

Anyone in our Triumph Community fish the Upper Chesapeake Bay on the Susquehanna Flats ? I mostly fish the Ocean City Md. area and Delaware Bay but with my 2006 190bay i want to extend my season by fishing the catch & release season on the flats. Anyone have any info on best spots to try, best boat launches and of course what types of bait/lures to use.
I just attended a Seminar about the flats given by Keith Kaufman on 2/10/07. It was packed full of great info.
Bass Assasins
live herring or fresh chunks with no offset circle hooks
And a ton of lure names.
can't throw a cast net if your not a MD resident.
Is the water at 52 degrees yet? lol

Flats Fishing...

Hey Dogfish...

That is pretty much where I spent my time last year. I am sure that I did not have all the insider information but I did seem to catch more fish along the channels on both the east and west side of the flats. I also spent a little time drifting along the channel to the east of perryville at the head of the flats. I am planning on heading down a bit further this year towards the love point area to try my luck in the spring. If you are going to launch near the flats I have been going out of the Elk Neck State Park launch. Two reasons, one it has a bunch of ramps that really speed up the process and two, it is a pretty nice park to go out of... My kids really seem to like this launch. I have not used them but I am told that there are a lot of nice areas to launch from in Havre De Grace. Maybe someone else can give you some insight on that area.
I too attended the workship with Keith Kauffman. Very good information... Day well spent...Not sure if you bought one of the Books from Lenny Rudow but the "Fishing the Chesapeake" book is great... Packed with info on spots to look at. I am working on my plotting as we speak for the spring... I am not sure we can stretch the thermometer to 52 degrees yet but I am chomping at the bit to be on the water... I am envious of the guys down south and on the west coast... Hope to see you on the water in the spring...

Bill McCall

flats

Bill,

Elk Neck State Park launch sounds like a great launch. A friend launches there alot. I also will try the northeast river area such as Anchor marine and Charlestown Marina. Not being familiar with the flats i will spend a few trips in deeper water like the channels.
The Kauffman workshop was great and i did buy one of the Books from Lenny Rudow (Fishing the Mid Atlantic). As soon as i opened that book i found my "hotspots" in Ocean city Md. Lenny was right on the money for OC md.
I will buy his other book when i finish this one.
Capt. Walt also had a great presentation. If i did't have a boat i would have booked with him.
For me its not about catching a ton of fish but enjoying the day out with my family and finding the fish on my own.
We spend all of our summer time on the back bay of oc. md and that general area. Fluke are great to catch and eat.
What will this year's size limit be?
I just wanted an extended boating season and the early striper season fits the bill.
Release is fine with me!
Ohh, How is the new boat running? I think i remember you from last year.
I bought mine in may 06 190bay w/115 4stroke yamaha.
Ours ran great and suited our needs well.

See you on the flats.

Flats Fishing

Dogfish...

New boat is running great as of the end of the season. Can not wait to get her out of storage in the spring. I agree as to what you said about catching fish on your own terms with your family. That is the main reason we purchased our boat. It is nice to sometimes get out with just myself and the Chocolate Lab. Those are some of my more laid back days that I do not have to worry so much about everyone else having a great time... As long as the dog gets to swim she is happy... I too would definately book with Captian Walt if not owning a boat. Maybe will still consider it if I can not locate the big ones this year. I do not mind the release aspect of the early season either. Just the opportunity to be on the water is enough for me. I think that I may try the Charlestown and Anchor marinas as well this year. I passed by both on the water last year and they looked good.

Considering a T-top for the boat this year. I saw a link to one that is removable as well as folds down for storage on the boat so I could still use my boat cover. Pretty cool... The kids like the Bimini top on the super hot days for the shade but I am tired of it because it always seems to be in the way when fishing. I can put the Bimini on when it is a family day and go with the T-top when it is fishing time... Just gotta convince the boss that it is a good investment... Hope to see you on the flats. Shoot me an email when you are thinking of going out in the spring if you want to hook up. Cold weather will definately keep som of my fair weather friends off the water that early in the year...

Take care...

Bill

I fish the flats every spring. If you want to know where to fish the flats(and miss the sand bars), the best advice I could give is to schedule a charter with a local captain. IMHO Mike Benjamin in Northeast, MD is a great one. There are many splendid captains who specialize in the Susquehanna Flats. Over the years, I have learned by experience, but that"s not always the best or easiest.(polished skeg and slow churning of the prop over the sand) The 190 is great for all but the sakinniest of water. Big fish are there to be found in the Spring. There's nothing like a 45" Srtiper coming up to swallow your topwater lure. I put my boat in at Tydings Marina in Havre DeGrace. It has a really deep launch area and a huge parking lot. Hope to see you guys in the Spring.
Vince

flats

Little off the subject but i would also love a tee top. I asked my dealer in DE and he does't install tops. he did give me a local guys number that installs but after talking to the guy i was a little aprehensive because he says he screws and glues the top to the deck. My opinion is you at least need a backing plate with some type of toggle bolts. His tee top installed price was about $2300. That was his Jan/Feb discount price. Thats more than 10% of the cost of the boat. I wonder if Hooked on the bay installs? What price?
Here is a link from a post . this looks cool.
http://www.fishmaster.com/index.html
Its looking like another bimini top season for me...lol
Can't beat the bimini for towing, low bridges and storage using a regular cover. I also think it yields more shade. But it does have a ton of negatives. The #1 negative for me is the bimini acting like a sail on windy days. It affects my flounder drift.

Heading to Cabelas to spend money today!:D

Thanks for the info Vince... What kind of Launch fees are associated with Tyding's Marina? Sure would be convenient for me coming from York as it is for you in Lancaster. May consider that this year. I may look at a trip with a captain in the spring or at least the fall. Hope to see you on the water as well in the spring. By the sounds of it there will be alot of those Plastic boats on the bay this year. Only saw one other last year..

Take Care...

Bill

Last Spring launch fees were,I think, only five bucks. During the Spring season, I only remember seeing one other Logic on the Flats. I do get alot of comments on the boat. Herb's Tackle Shop in Northeast is a great place to get everything you need tacklewise.
Vince

Thanks for the info on the launch fees. Love Herbs... Nice People... Very informative and have everything that I need. I too get a lot of comments on the Boat. Funny how some people still do not know about them considering all the advertising I have been seeing lately... Funny

Hope to see you on the water...

Bill

Susquehanna Flats (Information)

Hi, Everyone (Triumph Owners)

I noticed this topic on the Susquehanna Flats, I guide & specialize on the Susquehanna Flats, also one my specialities is Navigational trips for the Susquehanna Flats area. Starting in mid-March I will have weekly fishing reports for the Upper Bay & Susquehanna Flats for Striper/Rockfish & Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, on my website www.karlsbassinadventures.com I am also a Triumph 190 Bay owner. My website has very good marine weather & tide information also. Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have on fishing the Susquehanna Flats. As stated in some of the reply's Herbs Tackle in North East, MD. is the best local tackle shop in the area. I primarily use Tydings Park/City Yacht Basin ramp in Havre de Grace, if you are traveling down from the North you can save some money by purchasing a trailer coupon book from the main office at the Hatem bridge. I also use the boat ramp at the Wellwood on the North East River as an alternative to the one at Anchor Marine during the busy season.

I will be the guest speaker at the MSSA Northern Bay Chapter meeting on Feb. 28th, 2007. I hope to see & meet some of you there.

Thanks & Good Fishing, Capt. Karl

Last edited:
Flats Fishing...

Hi Karl...

Thanks for the info and looked over the website. Lots of good information on there. I was given your name by Felicia at Hooked on the Bay if I wanted a firstclass trip on the flats. I took possession of my 2007 190 Bay in July and have been floating aroud the Northeast area since that, I may contact you in the Late spring or summer for a trip with my father and I. I am going to take my boat out a bit first to see if some of the tips I received will pan out for some stripers. I would love to spend a day with someone who knows the area well and can teach me some ways to navigate around the flats a little better. Maybe even catch a few fish. I hope to be in touch with you in the near future. I am sure our paths will cross at Hooked on the Bay in the spring. Maybe even on the bay.

Thanks for the good information...

Sincerely,

Bill McCall

Back