Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I have to say, when I found my 235cc, I was disappointed it had a Suzuki. I had either been a diesel or Yamaha guy. I've since come to really like the Suzuki. It's easy to work on, runs great, etc., etc. There is, however, a common issue with all Suzuki: The "White Wire". It is a wire that runs from main power to the ECM. It is not to run to the ignition switch. Rather, it goes to a battery source when your main power is switched to "on".

Recently, I have been getting ghost fault codes. 9-4 and 9-5, which states the key fob battery is low. Um, I don't have a key fob.... Get it? Also, I got 6-3, the o2 sensor. Again, well, 2008 DF250 doesn't even have an o2 sensor. So what gives?

I checked all of my connections, checked all of my software versions on the LMF gauges, engine data interface cable, etc. I knew it wasn't a bad connection. After all, I had just installed a power assist and autopilot pump not long ago and had checked all of the wiring connections at that point. About 90 hours (run time) later I started getting these anomalous codes.

I went out this morning and checked my "White Wire". The connector at the engine end was a little loose. Crimped down the female end of the connector and plugged it back together. Good and tight. Went in behind the tackle center to the main area of wiring and plumbing connections and found the positive post where most things are connected. What do ya know.... loose connector. How the heck did that happen?!?!

Pulled the post apart, cleaned everything up and made sure the "White Wire" was sandwiched between the main battery leads that connect there, like it's supposed to be, and tightened it right down.

I ran it a while and presto-magico (a favorite saying of mine), no codes.

Check your connections, make it an annual maintenance item and avoid sleepless nights wondering why your boat says "well, the squirrels are back in the attic again, it's personal this time...".

See such many times due to voltage drops for sure. Any ECU that drops below 10.5 VDC starts to "loose it's mind" and will pitch up all kinds of Ghost Codes. Loose grounds no matter where they are located, can also cause such. I am a Big Fan of lock washers on them for just that reason ;)

Good Find Brother!

Hi Martin. I bought my boat specifically BECAUSE it came with the Suzuki. I really like the motor. If you haven't been there before, the forum that I used to be a moderator on is a good place to find answers if you ever have any more issues.

Yep, I've seen that forum. Good info there.

Back