T-top GPS antenna

cichlid

Registered Member
City
Madison
I am mounting a lowrance 520c with an external antenna to my 21'. It has a t-top and I am guessing that I am supposed to run the wire through the tubing of the rail using the supplied pull string and it would come out at the top just under the canvas near the circular cut out on the frame. There is a flat hollow space to run the wire through and it seems to make sense that I would mount it to this flat piece of the top. I could just drill a hole in the flat space to run the wire through to my antenna and secure the puck to the top. If this is correct do I need anything else? Would it be alright to drill through the canvas? Sorry I can't show you any pictures to better explain myself, the camera isn't working. Thanks for any help.

Mike

If you try to drill through the canvas, you may pull the threads and ruin it. Talk to a canvas shop or sail shop first.

The more I'm reading it seems that some people are using the internal antenna with a t-top without problems. Anybody think it would be a alright to just mount the antenna next to the head unit in the console?

Antenna

There would be no disavantage to mounting the antenna on the console other than the space it would consume. The reception should not be noticeably affected in this location.

cic how big is the puck you can get a side mount for the t-top so you dont have to do any drilling same kind of mount that you use on a vhf antenna. it mounts on the out side rail of the t-top. hope this helps

Thanks, is there anyway you could post a link to one so I can get a better idea of what I should be looking for? Thanks again

Mike

Also, does it matter if the puck is mounted horizontally? Does it have to be vertical?

Antenna

The antenna needs to be mount horizontally for best signal reception. If mounted at some other orientation the signal may become weak or even lost at different headings.

bass pro shop ratchet antenna mount item # 38-502-076-00.. mike your puck should have a screw in base that will work with this mount

thanks for the help, the unit did not come with a screw on, but it does have an optional pole mount I can purchase. As for the ratchet mount, won't I still need an extension with a 90 degree bend so it will lay flat?

At this point I would mount the thing anywhere/anyway so long as I wouldn't have to drill through the canvas

is there any way you can take a pics of you puck and put it on here. the rachet mount will turn 90 degrees. go to bass pro shop again and look at the mount it turns in two different spots

It looks like that ratchet mount would work best.

So with that ratchet mount I could just mount it near the top of my t-top under the canvas without a problem?

go to www. west marine type in this # 7850282 in the search box this is what you need it will mount on the out side of the grab rail on the t-top. your puck is about 3" around if so this will work. this is a better pic of it. not under the canvas on the out side of the tubeing

looks like it will work.. you dont need the shakspeare mount that want get you at a 90 degree angle off the t-top the west marine will the west marine one needs to fit a 1 1/4"to 1 1/2 tubing not 7/8' and will need to go on the top rail of the t-top not the grab rail.. the grab rail is the short 7/8" rail right under the top rail that you can grab when you are at the steering wheel. good luck.. and you do need the pole mount

Just got my 215 with T-Top and they monunted my Lorance antena on the lower bar on back side of top. Using a rail mount and cone that I got from lowrance web site. It your top is like mine no need to drill.

The link to the "spat"

LEI Extras

Goes betwwen rail mount and puck. I can try to get a picture of mine if you would like, let me know.

it sounds like gsdiner did mount his to the grab rail i was worried about you haveing enough room to clear the top rail with the puck gsdiner knows what you need........

If look close at picture you can see VHF and GPS mounts on rail

full

GSD

Last edited by a moderator:
cic if you mount the puck on the grab rail the rachet mount has to fit 7/8" tubeing my self i would mount it on the same side as the steering wheel is on . because your gps is going to be infront of the steering wheel. if you feel with your hand up under the canvas at the top of the main 2" tubeing that the t-top is made out of there is a hole the tubing runs down to the insde of your console where your batteries are that is how you get the gps cable to the puck you run it through the tubing. hope this helps

Thanks for the help everybody. I'm going to just buy the rail mount and Lowrance's pole adapter. I still don't get why Lowrance doesn't make the puck with a female thread so I can mount it with a rail mount. It's a little irritating. Thanks again though for all the help.

Mike

Back