Tachometer Quit Working

G

greyoldchief

Dick:

I fired up my boat yesterday and my tach isn't working. The check engine lites come on, they do their checking and then go off as normal. Is the tack fused. What should I look for? I have a 2004 210 with a Johnson 140 4 stroke.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Bill

The Faria tack that came with my 2003 190 Bay froze up on me this spring, or froze up over winter. Anyway, it didn't work anymore. Last summer it started to stick and I would tap it to free it up and what I was afraid would happen finally did. I found Faria's web site, searched their warranty info, called them up and explained my problem. They told me to take it out and ship it to them, giving me a warranty register number to write on the package exterior. Within 9-10 days I received a brand new one which I installed. Fortunatelly, I paid close attention to the colors of the wires and how they were hooked up on the original tach, because, it seems, Triumph uses the tach terminals as a sort of junction box to connect switched on power of other gauges as well as their grounds. If you have a Faria tach that is less than three years old they will repair/replace it for free, no questions asked.

Tachometer

Thanks Lazy Loafer. That's exactly what I have. I'll contact them and see what happens.

Bill

Tachometer

Followup to my tach problems. Called Faria on 5/24 and they gave me a return authorization no questions asked. Mailed my old tach on 5/25 and received the new one today. Quick service considering a holiday was involved.

Hey - I also have a "sticking" tach on my 2003 210 w/ Suz140. I will pursue this refurb/replacement but wondered if you guys know if my engine and gauges will run with the tach removed? Prior posts referred to the tach being a bit of a junction box. The answer will influence my timing - can't miss a hot bite!

The Faria guy also warned me to note engine hours since the new/refurb'd one will be zeroed.

Thank, Barry

I have a 170 cc with a sticking tach also. What is the easiest way to get the tach out ?

Tachometer

Barry:

Don't know if you can run the engine or not. I didn't run mine while it was out. Sorry.

Dick at Merritt should be able to help.

Bill

Back