Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
And needs stopped soon (like cancer) before this one gets out of hand...

[h=1]Maine legislators poised to ban all soft baits[/h] Unwarranted legislation would prohibit "rubber" lures
On January 17, state Representative Paul Davis introduced H.P. 37/L.D.42, legislation that would prohibit the use of all "rubber" lures. The legislation seeks to ban "rubber" baits but does not define the term. Even so, the intent of the legislation is clear – to ban the soft baits that Maine anglers use every day. Technically, there are no "rubber" baits on the market as soft baits are made from various substances, none of which are rubber. The bill would even ban biodegradable soft baits currently available. The legislation does nothing to encourage further understanding of this perceived problem or to improve angler education on the use of soft baits.
KeepAmericaFishingâ„¢ is not aware of any study of fish in the wild regarding problems with soft baits. To the contrary industry research involving literally thousands of soft baits to test fish of many species (particularly bass and trout) has indicated minimal problems for the fish involved. The research experience is that the fish either regurgitate or pass the baits without problem. These studies fed baits appropriate for the size of the fish being tested. There is a wide variety of types, sizes and shapes of soft baits and few cause problems, even in laboratory experiments.
Maine has a rich history with angling and the sport has significant economic impacts to the state. Anglers in Maine provide a $614,401,455 economic infusion to the state each year supporting 6,723 Maine jobs. This economic engine from recreational fishing in Maine also provides $42.8 million in state and local tax revenue. Forty-four percent of Maine's angling days are done by non-resident anglers, and this ban would affect not only bait and tackle shops but also all tourism businesses.
On Tuesday, February 5th Maine's Joint Standing Committee on Inland Fisheries and Wildlife held a public hearing on this bill. They will hold a Committee Working Group meeting regarding L.D. 42 and L.D. 43 on Tuesday, February 19, 2013.

More info at this link

http://keepamericafishing.salsalabs.com/o/6394/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=4098

Rubber lure control, gun control, big soft drink control, GPS tracking devices in all new cars, drones overhead, cameras on every corner................

...........come, Lord Jesus.

What? Why?

ps surely you guys have some amendment that protects your right to keep and bear soft-plastics?

What? Why?

ps surely you guys have some amendment that protects your right to keep and bear soft-plastics?

True, but those in power seem not to care about the written law any more. They are the law. I foresee an eighteen month backlog on "rubber lures," especially the dark, menacing-looking ones with spinners and/or brushy tails (the kind normally used in "assault rods").:rolleyes::confused::eek:

Everyone today is so bent on their 15minutes of fame, and leaving an imprint in history, that politicians think their function is to create some new laws or change things to their own liking. They no longer have any concept of representing the People. I would be truly satisfied for my representitives to simply run the country where their success would be measured by as little change as possible. Nice boring uneventful terms would be the norm. As it stands today, the Constitution is becoming worth little more than the paper it's written on. And the outcome will inevitably result in history repeating itself, as has occured throughout time. Hopefully I won't be here to see it.

True, but those in power seem not to care about the written law any more. They are the law. I foresee an eighteen month backlog on "rubber lures," especially the dark, menacing-looking ones with spinners and/or brushy tails (the kind normally used in "assault rods").:rolleyes::confused::eek:

Looks to me that part of the reforms could include limiting the size of your plano boxes to hold 3 lures only, and no fast change clips either - just manual knots. Perhaps you need a stronger NRA (national rod association)?

Sign the petition please....

Dear Fellow Anglers,

During the last few weeks we at KeepAmericaFishingâ„¢ sent out emails regarding a bill in Maine that would ban the use of all soft baits. This legislation is now going to a working session of the Maine Joint Standing Committee on Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. In order to show just how many anglers across the country are concerned by this bill we ask that you sign our petition in a show of solidarity. This petition will be presented to the Committee so that they can see that banning soft baits not only affects their own residents and anglers but also anglers nationwide.

By signing the petition you are telling the Committee that you "do not approve of unfounded bans on soft baits. Arbitrarily banning widely used tackle such as this would have a tremendous impact on everyone from individual anglers to tackle manufacturers to state wildlife management agencies that protect our resources. Further study must be conducted and decisions must be based on sound science."
Join us on this issue. Whether Maine is far from you - or near - what happens there could happen in your state as well. Sign the petition today.

Here's to tightlines,
gordon_sig_200x64.png
Gordon Robertson
KeepAmericaFishingâ„¢

Got my petition and signed it and sent it off post haste. My question is How are they going to enforce it? Multiple boardings, a rubber monitor at every ramp?

You know I am not for this or against it, meaning I can live without plastic and carry on. After watching a show that went viral / web on sea birds dying from eating all kinds of plastic that of course do not digest. I can stand outside the box and understand why they are pushing this. Afterall, how many times have you seen people just toss in old line, lures etc, without reguard for the wildlife it affects. Just saying :)

Back