Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Our Photo Guru has been a little MIA here of late. In the mean time, did send me over some Outdoor Macro shots to preform a little post editing work upon, which came in very handy since I have been testing a trial version of DeNoise AI from Topaz Labs and you can find out more about it here:

And when it comes to Macro Photography and the loss of depth of field because of such close up work, you can see how this program really comes in handy!

So I am big fan of these little airborne warriors and their flight profile and acrobatics is simply amazing! So when I was sent over some shots, I was pretty stoked to work on them and run a few tests. So as you can see the little Hummingbird is really in focus well, but the background from the loss of DOF (Depth of Field) to my eye, detracts from the picture... Not much of a problem as you can see after I reworked it in DeNoise AI

Before, and when you click on it, the grainy effect in the background really shows up.
2019-08-30.jpg

After:
2019-08-30-denoise.jpg

Not only is the Hummingbird now more "clear and extra detail" but the background is more muted thus (again as per my eyes) does not detract from the picture as much :cool:

Another cool feature in the program is the split screen, so you can see and drag it over and back in real time, and see how that photo is going to look after all the rendering is completed.

Split screen.jpg

And trust me, it will take some time for it to render all the clean up work and will tax your CPU while it is working (fair warning) for sure. So you have to give it a little time to "Grind" on those edits ;)

So you might want to give DeNoise AI a quick try and as I have discovered, it's AI engine works very well as a 1st pass edit. Then you can preform more post editing work as needed on those now saved files, in other platforms you are proficient with or still learning to use! Thy have a free trial program so you can work it and see if it something you can employ for your needs this without spending any money which I think is great!

Let us know how you make out with some of your shots using DeNoise AI from Topaz Labs, and you might be surprised like I was, with the amount of cleanup it can preform even on much older pictures you love and would like to clean up again.

Good Shooting!

I took this this morning. Played a little in the trial version of denoise and lightroom web. then got a tad artistic in photoshop elements.prayingmantis-denoise3.jpg It even looks real good zoomed in

Still running this software (just upgraded it again) and simply shocked what it can do on a picture that has a lot of noise in it... For low light higher ISO shooting, you should really try the free trial version and see how well it can clean up those photos! I will post up some more examples of come recent changes here soon.

And do let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors.Net sent you if you reach out to them!

All My Best,
Dave

Split screen of some work done by the latest version to an older photo that I took years ago, left side is before / right side after it rewrote the picture with the tweaks I made to it. Notice who much clearer the feathers now appear :)

1624404850816.png

And here is the before shot with some past editing with older software...

DSCN0641c.jpg

And after with the newest version v3.1.2 of the same software...

DSCN0641c-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg

Very impressed! And looking forward to working with it more with the new camera (Nikon Z6) which has a full sized sensor, and grabs 5 times the amount of data with a much newer onboard image processing chip. What your I phone can do nowadays is simply amazing... Well if you have not tried a modern mirrorless camera recently, you will simply awe struck once you learn how to really harness all that processing power!

And feel free to reach out if you have any questions on how to use this software / workflow steps to really bring to life both your older and even more recent pictures!

Good Shooting!
Dave

Back