Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Was looking at the trailer axle and not only getting unhappy with the way it was looking, but was getting worried about how much longer it was going to actually hold up :confused: So I had this bright idea that while the boat was in for it's annual to have it taken off the trailer and then have the axle sand blasted and then shot with Rhino Liner.

Though a good idea (and "maybe" something to consider on a newer one pending actual costs) when I got the boat off the axle and could really inspect it up close and pick around with a scraper, not only was it looking pretty sad, but just shot and only a matter of time before it would become unsafe and I suspect break right in the middle... The Torsion bar suspension was rust welded and I was kind of surprised that it had not started to wear on the tire tread on the inside which can and usually does happens when they finally lock up and quit working :( This on a trailer that been taken care of much better than most I see much less, most I see broken down on the side of the road :rolleyes:

So after calling and speaking to Dan over at Rolls Axle Trailer (great guys) who had made the trailer for Vic's last boat
Rolls Axle Inc. He told me that it was no problem to retrofit one of their axles to my present Magic Tilt I-Beam trailer and too bring it right over ;)

So I had a business trip and while I was gone for a few days and the boat was over at the Gurus at Sunray Marine on a shop trailer getting an annual and some gauge work done, all of this worked out just perfect to drop it off with them. Well I picked it up today and put the hull back on and it worked out very well. Pictures of the past and present axle can be found here
https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/media/albums/uncategorized.524/page-2

I also took a shop tour when I picked up the trailer and if you are looking at either needing either brand new trailer or just a axle swap, I don't think you will find a better made unit and if taken care of (simple rinse off) unlike most of the axles on the market... This should be the last time you will ever need to have one installed and one less thing to worry about or waste time with ever again :D

So tell them I sent you when you call :) and Dan fully understands the needs of Triumph hulls, and they are the OEM spec trailer for some of your more high line / custom builders like Young Boats
http://www.young-boats.com also found here in Florida :cool:

Just don't think that having this kind of quality is going to cost you a small fortune to buy because it does not, and a real value for your money and even more so when you consider how they are made :cool:

Dave, I am very glad your experience mirrored mine. These are GREAT folks that make a product anyone would be proud to own. Your Triumph was made to last - get a trailer that is made to last.

I agree and if you look real close at the old axle pictures, you can see where I had scraped and painted it in the past in a vain attempt to at least slow down that wasting away process.

Carbon steel even coated with galvanized, just does not belong on a boat trailer much less one that is used in Salt Water much of the time without some kind of extra coating on top of it...

Back