Transporting my 235...400 miles

mloserpsu

Registered Member
State
Virginia
I'm moving my 235 T top from Chesapeake Bay to the Georgetown, SC area. I'll have the trailer checked out and do the cursory things...but how about some tips? Boy, am I opening myself up here!

Trailer maintenance is key. As long as the trailer solid, you should be good.

Normal transom straps and bow winch strap should also be just fine.

I hear lots of people say they lost a seat cushion, or their favorite hat, or forgot to put an antenna down, or something on a trip. So just make sure all your loose stuff is tightened up and go have a great time.

Also, and though some Tire Stores that do not understand that the same laws of Physics apply :rolleyes: and push back at the request to "Have them make Money" by doing such....

Do take the time to have all (including the spare) the tires balanced. And (little tip) IF it takes more than 1 to 2 oz of weight to bring them into balance, have them break down the tire and spin it on the rim (90 or 180 degrees) where you are not catching both the High / Fat Side of the Rim and the Tire at same time... No need to have a Boat Anchor's worth of weight slapped or taped on the rim to bring one into balance.

That same aspect by the way, also applies to your Truck / SUV, etc.... Slapping a huge amount of weight on one to correct the balance issue should not be needed short of a bent rim or large chord shift problem inside the Tire ;)

Be that as it may, having them done will make it smoother to trailer at highway speeds, help improve tire wear, while also helping reduce on trailer axle bearing loads.

Oh, and don't forget to carry a extra hub and bearing set just in case of failure. Though can be a little heavy to lug around I agree.. I have a larger boat bag that held a small jack, lug wrench, grease / oil (pending on hub type) for long trips, just in case... ;)

Hope this helps!
Dave

Also, you can find more information and tips on trailer service in this section here on The Site on the link below:

And these ideas and concepts apply to all Boats, Skiffs, really anything you might pitch up on a trailer and tow even items like Dirt Bikes, etc. :)

Enjoy, and hopefully save yourself some grief / time spent on the side of the highway...

Best,
Dave

Out west it is normal to trailer your boat long distances several times a year. I concentrate on the same things already mentioned and would add that you need to monitor tire pressures. If towing the boat for 10 or more hours, like I'm doing this morning, on a day that temperatures will reach 100 degrees across our desert region, I always monitor both tires and bearing temperatures. Each time I stop for a break and at a preplanned stop just 15 to 20 minutes into the trip, I stop to touch all the trailer hubs to see if any are overly warm. I always lick the end of my finger, just in case I do get a hot one and I have, and then I check the tires also for excessive heat. If the hub sizzles your finger, it is too hot and if the tire noticeably hurts your palm, then it is too hot. Both conditions need immediate attention as either will put you out of action soon. I always run my tow vehicle tires at or near maximum pressure also. The added weight on the tongue will effect them as well.

Now with all this added knowledge, get out there and enjoy the trip. After all, you are going fishing aren't you.

Codfish

Hey Putershark. Wish I could be certain on the brand but it was two years ago I redid the trailer and I have forgotten the name. I believe it could be a Tie Down Industries brand. I finally was swapping over from drum to disc so changed all the way from the coupler to the hubs. I am again using the Bearing Buddies and seem to be having better luck with them this time around. I left the boat at a friends house near the coast so can't run out to check the brand for you. Will be back to salmon fish the first week of September and could answer your question then. Sorry.

Codfish

At the 10-year mark, I rebuilt my trailer with new lights, springs brakes and hubs. I went with Kodiak. They came as an entire unit of disc brake and hub assembly, bearings, etc. I ditched the oil bath and went with the greased version. With bearing buddies. It's what I've used on several trailers and have been very happy.

Back