Trim tabs for 195cc

Erie-Sistible

Registered Member
City
Homes Beach
I have a 195cc with a 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke. Have trouble getting up on plane without someone sitting in the bow. Am considering trim tabs, any thoughts, recommendations and so on from anyone? Thanks!!

Do a search here for smart tabs. Might be the way to go although not adjustable they work great on my 210...

We installed smart tabs on our 19 f&s and it made quite a difference. They will knock a few mph off the top end, but it come up on plane in a few seconds and handles much better. There are quite a few threads on them.

So far everything I've read seems to point to the smart tabs being a good way to go. Appreciate the input.

I have smart tabs on my 195cc and they do take a little off the top end but they work great.

Thanks for the feedback, I believe that is the way I am going to go.

While tabs are very functional, they do so with friction or drag....hence the loss of top speed. Your boat is marginally powered, so adding drag is not really desirable.
You might try a few alternatives first.
Check to see if the motor trim adjusting bolt is all the way "in" and maybe raising the motor one hole may improve holeshot. Also simply re-distributing weight my solve the problem. Even a cavitation stabilizer plate like the one from "Bob's Machine" might be worth a try. Gook Luck.

ge5223825498197650757.jpgimages (4).jpgimages (3).jpg guy in boat.jpg

This is from their web site

[h=3]Q: The boat is not as fast as it was before using SMART TABS?[/h] A: There are two probable causes which require a simple adjustment.

1. Before installing SMART TABS you may have the motor "Trimmed" in toward the transom so that the boat planed quicker. For boats with electric tilt and trim, trim out when on plane. For Boats without electric tilt and trim move the trim rod to at least the middle position so that the motor is straight up and down. You will regain the speed and improve efficiency.
  2. SMART TABS may be incorrectly adjusted with too much pressure. Refer to the installation pages for adjusting Smart Tabs to your boat. Installation manual , and reduce the pressure.
  3. If the boat is equipped with any other plaining device such as a hydrofoil or fixed trim tabs, remove them and do not run the boat with both.

Back