Trim Tabs

pamarine

Contributing Member
City
Portsmouth
State
VA
I've noticed a lot of owners have put hydraulic trim tabs on their boats. Why did Triumph decide on making the Nauticus Smart Tabs Standard equipment?

Hey Pamarine,
I did not hear that Triumph was doing that, but my guess is that they are being used on the smaller 150's and 170's. These boats are a bit narrow for a deep vee and the Smart tabs work great keeping the boat more stable and improving the overall ride of these models. Hydraulic tabs are the best option for the larger models that would be running in deeper and bigger waters with much more weight. I put Smart tabs on my 170cc last year and right off the boat ramp you notice a big difference in the ride, steering, and planing. Where did you hear that Triumph was doing this?

Tabs

It has been said on this site and on Nauticus's Web Site that Triumph was making the Smart Tabs standard equipment on all new boats. I did a lot of reading and research and decided to put the Bennet M80 sport tabs with short actuators, NMEA 2000 Position Sensors, Auto Retract, and Auto Control on my 170 CC. It's going to cost me about $750 but I just couldn't get past the thought of not having control of the Smart Tabs position.

Here is the official word from the factory on this:
The only boat that the tabs are standard on are the 150CC ordered with a 40HP motor. They came on the 120's but those are no longer in production.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. Amazing how advertising omits certain things to sell products.

Wow! Pamarine it sounds like you are going to have quite the trim system on your 170cc. I would love to have that, but I didn't have the $$$. It is crazy what you can spend on just accessories. The smart tabs do just fine and for less than $200. When you get those installed please post some pics and let us know how they perform.

-Stoney-

Stoney,

I the only reason for most of it is I like the Auto Trim feature of the Smart Tabs and saw Bennet had a way to mimick it with their Hydraulilc Tabs. The benefit of getting a boat as a gift is the purchase fund suddenly becomes the rigging fund ;-)

Here is the official word from the factory on this:
NCangler my 2007 215 CC, recently purchased, has equipped the Lenco Trim Tabs model unknown other than each is manually controlled. Given your previous operator experience, are they effective? Considered needed on the 215 in certain Water Conditions?

Back