Trolled up a 22lb Bull Red

Fishin' DC's

Participating Member
City
Gainesville
State
FL
Just me and the dog went fishing out of Suwannee, FL on 12/4. I went out to a rocky bottom area 11 miles out in 25 - 30 ft that I had not fished previously. Arrived and put out two Mann's stretch lures (Stretch 20 and 25) and started trolling at 4-4.5 mph. Almost immediately the rod with the pink body/black back Stretch 20 went down hard. When the fish broke the surface, at first I thought it was a big gag grouper, but the closer he got to the boat, I realized it was a bull redfish. When I got him in the boat, he measured 38 inches long and weighed 22lbs. There I was with the biggest fish I have ever caught and no partner to vouch for it, nor a camera to snap a picture, only my fishing dog, Bailey as a witness. Back it went in the water (FL max length is 27").

I was surprised the red hit a trolling lure. Has anybody else trolled up any? This spot will definitely be on my regular run from now on...and a camera will be on the boat.

Pulled a red/white and a black/gold 25 in the pass at Pensacola in late October. First pass we hooked up two at the same time. My son landed a 21" red and I landed a 32" red. Following three passes we hooked three more 36"-48". All but the 21" had to go back, but what a blast. Around Pensacola they regularly catch grouper, kings, spanish, and reds on stretches.

Back