Trolling Motor 24V Motor 12V System

aronlevin

Participating Member
I have a 191 fs and have 3 batteries hooked to a perko switch side one is two bats in parallel 12v and side 2 is one 12v bat. I was given a 24v minn kota riptide and want to use it. I have a twist lock plug receptical at the bow with 2 red wires and one black wire. I do not want to change my battery set up, but I may have to. How do I set this up without risking putting 24v to the rest of the boat.:confused: Any input or ideas would help.

Did you solve your problem yet? Let us know.

If not -
If I'm not mistaken, the red and black wires from the twist lock should run straight back to the battery compartment on the starboard side. You would need to take them off the 12v system and hook them up to your 24v system. If you use two of your batteries for the 24v trolling motor, you won't need the Perko any more because you would need to hook the two batteries in series for 24v and keep them and the twist lock separate from the rest of the electrical system. If your still interested, let me know and I'll go into more detail. Don't forget to put a separate fuse in for the 24v system. I have a 2006 191FS and am about to do the same setup.

Must be nice to have Xmas come early... :) Maybe I can get a do over and say to the family...hey, remember when I said I didn't want anything for father's day...I changed my mind... :)

If I am not mistaken, it sounds like the Marinco plug and I have installed several before and the two red wires are for a 12/24v motor and of course the black is the ground.Since your Riptide is 24v only you can either not connect one red wire or take the receptacle apart and disconnect one red.Whichever red wire you take out should be repeated in the male plug as well.There are ways to combine two batteries for the trolling motor and then separate for cranking and house, but you would have to call Stealth charging or myself to get the right schematic for this. Otherwise, you can series two batteries in a separate bank and use one battery for cranking and house in the other bank.

Back