Trolling Motor for 191

MPlunk

Registered Member
City
Broadalbin
I would like to mount my Minn Kota Power Drive motor on the front of my 2007 191 F/S, and it appears the best place to mount it is over the bow boarding ladder. I don't want to sacrifice the ladder (don't ask), so I am considering backing the hinged cover for the ladder with 1/8" 6061 aluminum sheet stock, providing support rails tapered to match the slope of the cover on either side of the ladder, and running removable anchor screws into the support rails to hold the cover down. These would be removed when using the boat for swimming, tubing etc. to access the ladder. I just wanted to ask the other 191 owners what they thought of this idea, or if they have any other methods they have used to mount trolling motors on the bow of these boats. If I had paid more attention in Mechanical Drawing in school I could draw up a little print, but that isn't my strong suit.

Love the boat so far, just bought it this year with only 83 hours on it. It replaced a 186 Cool Bay Logic, so I was familiar with these boats already.

I appreciate any input you may have.

LoonLovers

Registered Member
City
Marcy
State
NY
Have you proceeded with this project yet? I have thought about this as well, but am concerned if the cover mounting would be strong enough.

MPlunk

Registered Member
City
Broadalbin
I did go ahead with the project, and used togglers into the deck under the ladder. I backed the hatch with the aluminum for strength, and I used 3/4" PVC pipe as bushings between the hatch cover and the ladder compartment, with SS 1/4-20 bolts. It isn't as "removable" as I wanted, but I had to get it done in a hurry for a big trip we took. It is fairly solid, although I want to tweak it a little this spring. I will post photos when I get the boat out of storage. No thoughts of boating in upstate NY for a while after this winter!

muskythrill

Registered Member
City
De Pere
Mounting a Minn Kota to the front of my FS 191 2012 required me to remove the bow ladder and order from the dealer 3 filler plates to bring up the gap left from removing the ladder. Chad at Merritt was nice enough to instruct me to use 4 or 5 3 1/2" machine bolts with washers and nuts to secure to the hull. Use a razor to remove the caulk around the tray where the electric plug is to get in and secure the bolts. Use silicone to secure back up once done and put back the screws. You can also use 2 #14 2" wood screws to secure the plates closest to the edge of the hull for extra protection. The plates have 8 holes predrilled so it'll make sense when you see it.

JoeP

Registered Member
City
Mississauga
I am trying to mount a Minn Kota Terrova on my 2006 191 FS, any chance of getting some pictures of your installs?