Trolling Motor Mount Stabilizer

msmandel

Registered Member
City
Key West
Hit an unexpected wave in relatively calm water and one of the rubber mounts on my Great White trolling motor tore loose. After getting new mounts, etc., I installed a RAM Mount Trolling Motor Stabilizer (RAM-108) and now the motor sits on the mount like a rock. A little extra work when going out and returning but a big payback in peace of mind. I was going to take photos but if you go their site and search with the product number it will be self explanatory. By the way, I used "Togglers" to install the mount.

MM

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
So what model hull did you have this issue on, and do you have any pictures to share for our present and future members to view and learn from by chance?

Thanks!

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
RAM has a long and short version. I use long one with my MinnKota Saltwater 101 with the 60" shaft for several years now and works great!
You have to be careful when loosening the wing nut knob so that it doesn't release from the bolt and fall overboard, otherwise, a good product.
Molar

full

msmandel

Registered Member
City
Key West
I have the short version on my 52 lb. Motorguide Great White with a 50" shaft. It's attached to my '03 190 Bay. I'll take some pictures next time I go to the boat.and post them when I get back. On the same topic I'd recommend that anyone in the market for a trolling motor get at least the 81 lb., 24 volt model and hook it up to two 12V batteries in tandem. The 52 lb model won't move the boat against the incoming tide (in the Keys) if there is any kind of wind as well.

MM

msmandel

Registered Member
City
Key West
Pictures as promised

Here are the pictures I promised. Anyone needing any more information please contact me.

MM

PS: 3 foot Bonnethead Shark christened the stabilizer nicely

Attachments

• Knob strapped on Motor.jpg
    Knob strapped on Motor.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Base and Clamp.jpg
    Base and Clamp.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Assembled.jpg
    Assembled.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Raison d'Etre.jpg
    Raison d'Etre.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 58

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
I use a longer "Rod Saver" brand Velcro strop that is held in place on the L/F cleat with a plastic wire tie (though really not needed) to hold my Rip Tide flat when bouncing through the waves :D It is simple, requires no new screws, and will not rust with salt water spray either :)
attachment.php

msmandel

Registered Member
City
Key West
Strap

Looks like it works well with your Minn-Kota but using it on a Great White would only put that much more strain on the mount itself. The advantage to the RAM stabilizer is that is ties the motor to another point on the boat.

MM

N

Newbie1

Putershark,
I have an issue with getting my trolling motor mounted on my 191fs. Was looking at your setup and was wondering where you picked up the mount that lets the trolling motor hang off the front and attaches to your boat, in which the trolling moter is mounted to.
When I purchased mine the dealer up here in MA pointed it straight in and said that was the only way he could get it mounted.
Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Dave_L1

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
The base mount that you see is the factory trolling motor mount for the 190 Bay. I do not know how it would work on your 191FS so I would call the dealership at 863-465-1140 and ask for either John or Len and find out if it would work and how much to ship one to you... Now attached to the factory base mount is the Minn Kota quick release mount so that when I travel I can (though locked on in the mean time) pull it off and store the motor inside my hotel room ;)