Trolling Motor on 215

jergofish

Participating Member
City
Lodi
Ran my newly installed Minnkota 80AP trolling moter today. The motor was able to pull the boat about 4mph and handled the chores given it easily

I stowed the batteries in the megahold.

Very pleased to date!

Last edited by a moderator:

braley

Registered Member
City
Island Falls
Nice looking set up.

Would that motor have enough clearance to be used on a 215 with a bow rail?

Thanks
Jon

Codfish

Contributing Member
Premium Member
City
Payette
Jergofish, That looks very professional. But your boat is too clean.

Codfish

S

SOCALFISHERMAN

braley said:
Nice looking set up.

Would that motor have enough clearance to be used on a 215 with a bow rail?

Thanks
Jon
THAT IS A VERY GOOD QUESTION I WOULD LIKE TO KNOWFOR SURE!!!!

jergofish

Participating Member
City
Lodi
Codfish, if you saw the boat now you'd eat your words. I'm back from a month and a half in Baja Sur, Mexico. The boat's been in the ocean for a month and has barnacles and algea all over the bottom. Has dust everywhere from having been dragged over a hundred miles of dirt roads, was rained on and the dust turned to mud and has two thousand miles of road grime. Inside it still has the blood stains of many Dorado and one giant Humboldt squid. It will take almost a week to clean but I'm going to try to get it to look like it did in the picture.

braley and SOCALFISHERMAN,
I'm ALMOST sure you could attach the motor with the bow rail. It raises and lowers on a tilt and swings backward so it should clear the bowrail top. The question is could you mount it sideways enough to clear the down rails from the bowrail. If not it would cover the anchor locker when folded down. If I was you I'd go to a MinnKota dealer towing your boat and try the fit. It would take two people, one holding the motor in place and another operating the raising an lowering of the motor.

I didn't get the bowrail since I flyfish and the bowrail is a definate fly rod breaker. The trolling motor is indespensible for fish hunting. In Mexico I used it in the open ocean when crusing paddies of sargasso for Dorado and for keeping myself off the rocks when rock fishing. Also used it for moving around on some big flats.

At another location I used it for running a half mile of mangroves against an incoming tide, fishing for grouper. The trolling motor is so much a part of my fishing stratagy that it was a deal maker/braker as to whether I could mount it on the boat or not. Many of the other offshore skiffs bows are SO high that the installation of a trolling motor would be impossible.

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Very nice install Jergofish. It is great to know that someone has found a trolling motor solution that works and has been field tested hard! :)

braley

Registered Member
City
Island Falls
Jergofish:

Thanks for the information. I will try going to a dealer to see if it will work. I relly miss having a trolling motor since I sold my 190 to upgrade to 215.

Thanks
Braley

S

SOCALFISHERMAN

thank you for the info i will be headed down to west marine tomorrow and see if i can try it on the front.

LSUTIGER1947

Registered Member
City
Baton Rouge
Jergofish....... Nice looking install, what model Minn-Kota is that and how long is the shaft.......LSU Tiger.

jergofish

Participating Member
City
Lodi
Minnkota 80AutoPilot, 60 inch shaft.

In the ocean you really need the long shaft when you're up against the rocks and some swell is coming in. Otherwise the engine lifts out of the water on the swell and the prop spins and torques the whole thing causing the AP to go crazy.

..... USC Trojan. OhOh, I sense a rivalry here!

LSUTIGER1947

Registered Member
City
Baton Rouge
Hey Jergofish, USC plays out there in that "wine and cheese" league, they would'nt stand a chance down here in the "beer and bar-b-que" league!

braley

Registered Member
City
Island Falls
I just finished installing a motorguide 75# wireless trolling motor on my 215. It will stow and deploy with the bow rail attached. I will try and post pictures when I get a chance to take them.

braley

Registered Member
City
Island Falls
Some pictures of the trolling motor mounted on the 215 with bow rail in place.

Attachments

• triumph 215 009.jpg
    triumph 215 009.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 162
  • triumph 215 010.jpg
    triumph 215 010.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 141
  • triumph 215 011.jpg
    triumph 215 011.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 134
  • triumph 215 012.jpg
    triumph 215 012.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 136
  • triumph 215 014.jpg
    triumph 215 014.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 135

Allied

Registered Member
braley - that looks like a nice installation. I have a some of questions I would like to ask. (1) How much clearance do you have between the bow pulpit and the bow rail? (2) How hard is it to deploy and recover the trolling motor past the rail? (3) What did you do with the bow navigation lights?

I am seriously thinking about buying a 195DC and the mounting of a trolling motor without removing or cutting the bow rail is one of a couple of issues I am trying to resolve before plunking down a bunch of money.

Thanks for any help.

braley

Registered Member
City
Island Falls
Allied:

I followed the directions from jergofish for the most part they are located in this thread.

http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1498

As to your questions 1) I have 16 inches of clearance between bow rail and pulpit. There is about 1 inch to spare when deploying the trolling motor and about 2 inches when the motor is fully deployed. Make sure the 195 has the same clearance between rail and pulpit.

2) It is fairly easy to stow and deploy. The motor will swing up and down on an arc and you can raise or lower your motor shaft as you do this.

3) I followed jergofish's great advice and moved the bow light underneath the bow pulpit and reversed the lense. I did have to delaminate the top layer of the bow plulpit to get enough wiring to move things around.

If you carefully align things you will also be able to open and close the hatch to the anchor locker. It just takes abit of measuring before you drill.

Attachments

• triumph 215 015.jpg
    triumph 215 015.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 114
  • triumph 215 016.jpg
    triumph 215 016.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 115

Allied

Registered Member
Braley, thanks for the info. I thought it looked like the 215 has more bow rail clearance than the 195 so I may have a problem there. The 195 has about 12" I think. If I buy the boat I may have to cut the bow rail and make some S/S adapters to make the cut section able to be taken in and out. Oh well, I can do it, I just hate to cut that nice rail. I thought I could see the bow light hanging underneath, but the picture was a little dark down there. Trying to buy a one size fits all boat can be a problem. Thanks again for your help.

jtaracko

Registered Member
City
Delaware
Bow rail w/ trolling motor

Nice trolling motor set up on a 210! I have been considering upgrading from my 190, but thought that the boat could not be ordered w/out a bow rail. Were you able to special order it or did you remove it? Great mega water bass boat! -- JT

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
Any one figure out how to drill the holes between the mega hold to feed the wires? Looking to clean up my install