Trolling Motor

Stormi

Participating Member
City
San Diego
Hi Everybody
I just picked up my new (used 2006 190 bay) from a dealer in PA.
It took a wile but I think I found a great used boat. My first addition is going to be a trolling motor. I am trying to decide what size I should use. I have the opportuninty to purchase a used 80 lbs Riptide model with a 60 inch shaft. The sales price includes batteries and a charger.
Is this overkill? I live in the Annapolis,MD area and fish the Potomac River for bass and the bay for everything else.
I am concerend about all that weight in front of the boat. The 80 is a 24v motor and requires 2 batteries. Looking at the posts it seems like many people are doing fine with smaller trollong motors.
If a 12 v motor would be sufficient it seems I should buy a smaller motor.

Thank you
Stormi

Hi Stormi,
Welcome to site, you will find it very helpful. I don't have a trolling motor yet but have looked at getting one soon. I have been told that you should go with bigger/stronger when choosing a trolling motor. So with that said I don't think you should go any smaller than the one you mentioned. Here is an article from West Marine that may help you on your decision.

West Marine: West Advisor

Last edited:
Stormi, welcome and glad you found us.

Please try the "Search" feature. It really does work. I clicked on "Search", then "Advanced Search". On the left, under Search by Keyword I typed in Trolling Motor. On the right, under search in Forums, I started with 190 Bay and 82 threads came up. Then I changed the Forum to "Trolling Motors" and 19 threads came up.

There is just a lot of information here, it just takes a little patience to find everything. Try different words, etc. but most likely someone has described what you are looking for.

Good luck in finding the solution that works for you.

Welcome Stormi. Your handle fits the weather we have had in MD the last two weekends. Trolling for strippers at the mouth of the Patapsco is producing some catches, but wind is keeping me home last two weekends.

On to your trolling motor question. I have a F&S 191, with a 24V, 80 lb thrust, 60 inch shaft, minn kota. and an on board charging system. Would not want anything less.

Thank you everybody. I will try the search again and spend a little bit more time in playing arround with different words. Looks like the trolling motor I am looking at is just about right.
Stormi

I have a 17 cc and striper fish in Lake Lanier. I use an 80lb riptide 24v. I almost purchased a 12v system. That would have been a mistake. You can always power down a higher thrust system, but you can't power up a lower thrust system. Go with the higher thrust if you can afford it.

Back