Water in inner hull of 2008 Triumph 235

Triumphed

Registered Member
City
Montauk
For several reasons I believe I may have a buildup of water in my inner hull. I would like to know if there is one location on the transom where I can drill a hole (size?) where all the water could be drained from the inner hull? I'm thinking of putting in a drain plug that is identical to the one on the center line of the boat to drain the bilge. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mrgreencms

Participating Member
City
Woodbine
Have you taken a look at the DVD on Triumph repair. I have not watched it in a month or so, but I do believe it addresses your question. If you have not purchased the DVD I highly recommend it.

Triumphed

Registered Member
City
Montauk
Thanks for your reply. I have it. Not looked at it for awhile but I will revisit it to see if I can find an answer.

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
From the factory:
We should have a inner hull drain on all of our models in the bilge area. The inner hull should be checked for water accumulation at least annually. A drain can be installed on the exterior of the hull but extreme care is required to ensure that since this drain would be in constant contact with water it does not become the source of the leak into the inner hull.

dk2943

Registered Member
City
Pinecrest
I notice the factory's use of the word "should". Does that mean there is a drain in the bilge for all models or that it should have been placed there, but was not?

NCangler

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
I assume it means that as human beings we all make mistakes and it should be there but each owner will have to check to make sure. If it is not there then a dealer can add one.

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
The irony here is when a boat manufacturer attempts to seal off a section of the hull from water intrusion. All any of them manage to do is trap water in hull. Water WILL get in any boat any where. Know it and take steps for it accordingly. Make sure any areas where water might get trapped has a way out and then install a bilge pump to remove it from the hull. ;)

NYHarleyFisher

Contributing Member
City
Zephyrhills
On the 215, inside the bilge on each side there is a small black drain plug located on the side of the stringer. You might want to take a look and see if the 235 has the same type of setup. I've never looked in the bilge of the 235 so I can't tell you. Next time I'm at the Marina I'll try to snap a picture of the plugs in the bilge. Hope this helps!

BeeReel

Contributing Member
City
Brockton
On the 215, inside the bilge on each side there is a small black drain plug located on the side of the stringer........ Next time I'm at the Marina I'll try to snap a picture of the plugs in the bilge. Hope this helps!

I haven't seen these plugs in my '07 215 so maybe an upgrade which you have in the '09?

NYHarleyFisher

Contributing Member
City
Zephyrhills
Bee,
That could very well be, Chad could probably answer that best of all. I only know they are there on my '09. I never asked about them. But that is the only purpose that the two of them could serve. They are almost exactly like a transom drain plug except they are black plastic and have a red/orange o-ring on them.

Triumphed

Registered Member
City
Montauk
I've contacted Chad and he will get back to me. Can't get any better than Chad and Carl. Where are you located NYHarleyFisher? Assuming somewhere in NY. I'm in Montauk

NYHarleyFisher

Contributing Member
City
Zephyrhills
I live in Central NY (Near Utica) during the summer and just East of Tampa, Fl. during the winter. My boat has never seen snow!