Water in the hull question 215

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
Hi,

Long time no talk, I bought 215 about 1.5 years ago and have been fighting the stupid 150hp 2 stroke. Finally got some help from a good local mechanic and it is mostly sorted. Need to for a test run for finally tuning on the water.

On to the next problem. I have (100% certain) water in the hull. It's under the bilge, I know because I put a pump on one side of the center wall and the sensor on the other side and then realized I needed them both on the same side or the sensor will be pushed up when the pump side is dry.

So I unscrewed it and water starts leaking out the screw holes:

That's with the boat flat. I've got a tractor and lifted the front of the boat up about 5 feet and the water was coming out of those holes in 4 inch high streams. And water is seeping into the other side of the bilge as well.

The bummer is that I have a drain plug, it's open, with the boat flat nothing comes out, with the boat tipped it drips out extremely slowly, multiple seconds between drips.

I ran a 3/8" spade bit in there and it went in maybe 8 inches, hit something, I tried to drill through it but it clearly is not foam so I stopped before I did something possibly stupid.

Does anyone know what the hull structure looks like? Should I be able to drill further in? Should I do so?

Help! Really want to get this boat on the water.

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
Do a search here for inner hull drain. Most every double hull boat accumulates water in the inner hull. The 215 is a really easy install and allows the inner hull to drain completely.

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
Good Morning!
Two things... Make sure the Factory inner hull drains if equipped are open (and I would leave them open) and you were right near them in your video. See the link below for location pictures.

Next I would add at least one inner hull drain in the stern (my old 210 actually had two of them to drain off both sides, but here is a picture of one.

I would also install the metal self retaining type of drain, and I used them on my past 190 and you can see that here:

Then (if you need more information) pull a keyword search on "Inner Hull Drains" and have a cup of java handy since it might take you a while to read over them all, but I would just pay most attention to the ones for the 210 /215 since each hull is a tad different.

Lastly, ton of good information here and the third video will show you how this happens:

Oh and if you want it all to look white again (your video shows some normal crud growing in the bilge) some of this will work wonders on the hull and as it gets into the bilge eat on that stuff also ;)

Hope this helps and really a easy fix to address all of it and let us know how you make out :cool:

Dave

k9reno

Recognized Leader and K9 Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Punta Gorda
State
Florida
I had the same problem on my 03 210. My pump is mounted closer to the center stringer. I found this at one of the triumph boat owners things we had in Morehead city NC. one of the Triumph people there told me the screws they used to mount the pump were to long and penetrated into the inner hull. he pulled the pump and water came flowing up. He vacuumed up as much water as he could then use his fancy plastic welding gun and welded up the holes, and remounted the pump on a block to raise it up. I also got water in the inner hull after having Merritt put in through the floor box drains in my long floor boxes. I was told that the water forced its way in underway due to the drain was at a (kiss off) where box floor met keel. They drained my hull, which I understand involves drilling holes in the bottom of the boat. They drilled the drain holes larger they welded everything shut. redrilled the drains though what was now solid plastic. I also had them put in an inner hull drain. I always store bow high with the drain open. Have not had the problem reoccure.

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
OK, let me try again. This a 2006 215, they came with the rear transom drain or the previous owner put one there. The problem is that it
is not draining even though it is open. More on this in a sec.

I opened the black drains on the sides of the bilge and nothing came out as I expected. The water isn't that high.

How high is it? Exactly the height of drain plug opening in the bottom of the bilge. That is because the screw holes are in the bottom of the bilge and they squirted out so long as the water could drain through the plug hole.

Back to the rear drain. Even when I jack up the boat like this:

and the screw holes are spouting 4 inches high, there is no water coming out of the rear drain. So the passage from under the bilge to that drain hole is blocked somehow.

I tried to take a long spade bit and open things up and about 8 inches in I hit something hard, like aluminum, really really dense plastic, or some other metal. I stopped because I didn't know if it was a good or bad idea to drill through that. Good idea? Anyone done that?

The previous owner probably knew about this problem because he had added a drain plug at the front low on the keel:

I moved the boat so that the bow was down and I got a couple of gallons out of there. I'm going to leave it sit that way for a while and see if that does the trick.

I'm wondering if it would be smart to have one of those towards the stern under the bilge but I'm going to see if I get water when I jack up the bow first.

All I really care about is if the water is getting in from the ocean or if it is rain water (boat sat out uncovered for the winter).

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
Replying to myself. There is still water coming into the bilge after tipping it down and letting the front drain drain.

So how does the water move around in the hull? Can it get trapped in certain areas?

Putershark

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Pine Island
State
Florida
  1. If sea water, you should be able to taste the salt in it.
  2. In your pictures I only see "one" stern drain, I would consider adding one to pull out water from the other side of the metal beam (starboard side) that runs down the keel. Again, the 210 / 215 hull has actual sides / sections and you can see this (only single side now) in the beginning of this video: https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/media/triumph-hull-construction.10283/
  3. I don't consider a gallon or two of water much to worry about myself, and under the engine splash well covers will hold more and then start to rot and stink. That though is a east fix with some access lids put into them to vacuum out the water from time to time.
  4. That fine threaded drain screw in the bow section I suspect is going to allow more water to get into the hull, than it can drain off as the hull "flexes" while underway... I would have that seal all back up again with plastic.
  5. The bilge deck should drain off as the water migrates into the inner hull. See #2 above.
Hope this helps?
Dave

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
  1. In your pictures I only see "one" stern drain, I would consider adding one to pull out water from the other side of the metal beam (starboard side) that runs down the keel.

I'm not sure how to say this so it is heard, but the stern drain does nothing. I can have the boat at 45 degree angle with the bow up in the air and have water pouring out of the screw holes in the bilge and there is nothing coming out of the stern drain.

And I can have the boat tilted the other way, water will come out of the bow drain, but when I tilt the bow back up there is still water coming out of the bilge screw holes.

What this says to me is that the water is not freely flowing throughout the hull. How do you fix that?

Offshoreman

Recognized Leader Triumph 235 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
North Coast
State
CA
I would be happy to discuss this "in person" any time tomorrow. I had a 215cc for many years, and now a 235cc. I have experience with water in the inner hull and the transom mounted drains. If you like, give me a call tomorrow (Saturday) 707-497-8491. I'm certain together we can rid your hull of water.

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
I would be happy to discuss this "in person" any time tomorrow. I had a 215cc for many years, and now a 235cc. I have experience with water in the inner hull and the transom mounted drains. If you like, give me a call tomorrow (Saturday) 707-497-8491. I'm certain together we can rid your hull of water.

Hey Martin,

Just saw this. I'm fishing with Barry (he has the same boat) tomorrow, going out under the Golden Gate for the first time for me.

I'll try calling you Sunday, I very much appreciate the offer of help.

How do you like your 235? I thought about those, kinda wanted one, but figured it might need bigger engines and more gas. Seamed more seaworthy but we just pick our days and the 215 has been fine. The only thing I'd change if I could would be to have a platform for the motors and a higher transom. I was pretty freaked out the first time I took my boat out and saw how low the transom was compared to the water line. But I knew nothing and have calmed down a bit :)

Pacifico 2

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
I'm not sure how to say this so it is heard, but the stern drain does nothing. I can have the boat at 45 degree angle with the bow up in the air and have water pouring out of the screw holes in the bilge and there is nothing coming out of the stern drain.

And I can have the boat tilted the other way, water will come out of the bow drain, but when I tilt the bow back up there is still water coming out of the bilge screw holes.

What this says to me is that the water is not freely flowing throughout the hull. How do you fix that?

Im having the exact same issue with my 03' 210.. what was your outcome/ solution?

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
Im having the exact same issue with my 03' 210.. what was your outcome/ solution?

Sold the boat to a nice guy in Eureka. Bought a brand new 2020 Grady White 228. Love it. I miss the Triumph for some things, like docking. Docking says the Triumph? Hold my beer, ram it into the dock. What are these bumpers you speak of :)

So the Grady is a very different beast, much steeper learning curve, you actually have to learn some stuff to run that boat. The Triumph is *way* more forgiving. But I'm learning and having fun.

2020-07-20-12.21.37.jpg 2020-06-30-10.49.50.jpg 2020-07-03-12.12.54.jpg b 2020-07-20-09.02.39.jpg 2020-07-20-09.23.16.jpg

Attachments

• 2020-07-20-11.57.26.jpg
    2020-07-20-11.57.26.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 0

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
BTW, as a result, I'm much more active on greatgrady.com and coastside (local forum). I got a notice someone replied to me so I popped back over. If you need anything, best to message me.

Yump

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
So in in the same boat... lol get it hahaha 2006 215. Have a huge amount of water in the mega hull. Drilled holes in the floor. Was able to shop vac out 21 gallons from the hole drilled. Then patched the hole in mega hold. Reached out to Carl at merrit and puttershark who where more than gracious to help advise me through this whole thing. Followed the instructions for two inner hull drains bottom of the stern. Boat dripped water for 3 days then stopped. Only was able to catch 1 quart of water in the catch pan. I raised and lowered the bow of the boat multiple times trying to coerce the water to drain more freely? No luck. Mega hold is still a slosh box when I stand in there. Drilled another hole and stuck a tube down then fashioned some micky mouse enterprise adapter. Sucked out another 20 gallons of water this morning. Refuses to drain any more water from the newly mounted inner hull drains. Funny thing is boats been out of the water for 3 weeks so no chance for water intrusion to occur after the initial 21 gallons sucked out? Someone has to have a solution before a Grady white modification is the answer lol

SoCal170DC

Registered Member
Premium Member
State
CA
Yump,

I get alot a ton of water in my 2013 170DC. I went 12 miles out bilge float failed and took on 300 gallons. The boat would not plain out.. went in the service hatch with a cup and was bailing and driving. The 170 leans so much that the livewell spills over the top, as well i have water coming in from somewhere but can’t locate the source. You would thinking that by 2013 Triumph would have had all this figured out! I ended up frying my electrical wired from the battery to the motor. I made it back safely to the dock and onto the trailer. Once at home if i fill the bilge... not a drop comes out. Have to figure out if its the drains in the front locker as many have stated there is a gap where it didnt seal. I looked in my hull recently replacing a horn and there really isnt that much foam in these boats... in corner areas there are . Here is a pic of the inner gunnel area of the 170DC. Ive seen one picture posted of the drain plugs and where the gap is. I run plugs in them you would think it seals it up tight... if i could figure out the water intrusion source id feel alot better going offshore. 06A6DF8D-E8D8-421C-AE62-5319F2CE378C.png