Which Electronics

Which Brand of Fishfinder or Chartplotter Do You Have on Your Triumph?

• Garmin

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Lowrance/Eagle

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Humminbird/Zercom/Techsonic

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Raymarine/Raytheon/Apelco

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Furuno

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Simrad/B&G/Kogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Interphase

• Standard Horizon

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Navman

• MapTech

• Northstar

• Other

• Total voters

pamarine

Contributing Member
City
Portsmouth
State
VA
Just wanted to see who was using which brand of electronics on their Triumphs. Feel free to post details but make sure you vote!

Humminbird 717 Fishfinder with GPS Option for plotting. I love it for its simplicity.

Garmin 178c fishfinder with GPS. I've only been out once but am loving it so far. Way better than the Furuno separates I had on the old boat.

I wish I had Furuno but for the price, Garmin is very hard to beat. They have so many new products out right now most of thier older units are available with HUGE discounts.

Bob

I have a Garmin GPSmap 498, was included with the boat. My question, should I expect it to "keep" the bottom at 40mph? Wasn't sure if I purchased a better (read more expensive) finder, whether it would do a better job. It seems to loose the bottom after making a run to a reef just as I'm really interested in what the bottom looks like. It may take it several minutes to find it again. I keep the gain and most of the other settings on "Auto". Might be I just need a good tutorial on finders.
Thanks,
Tneut

tneut,
The Garmin 498 is a great unit. Most of the time the "loss of bottom" at high speeds comes from the transducer being mounted too high or too low in the water. You should be able to adjust it up or down. Experiment with it until you get it right. If it is mounted behind something that causes the water to be turbulant or have air bubbles in it such as the high speed water pick up for your baitwell you will loose bottom. If the manual came with it,check it out for proper placement. You can purchase a $2,000 fishfinder and still loose the bottom if the transducer is improperly mounted. Good luck
John D.

i have a garmin 498 too and it has loss of bottom too at high speeds. dealer mounted it .looks like it is in the right place ..it does not have a up and down adjusment ... it does all right it was only $700 the next thing i put on my boat well be some kind of wheather rador

I must say, I love my Furno set up.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Back