winter battery charging

Lou

Registered Member
City
Livonia
I've got my battery out of the boat for the winter. I'd like to keep it charged. Can anyone recommend a charger that I can keep it on without overcharging?

Harbor Freight sells a small trickle charger on sale for $3.99. That's what I use on 4 different batteries without a problem.

Reactions: Lou
Personally I use my Honda 150 to keep mine charged up during the winter from running the boat ;) but I guess Global Warming (whatever that is) has not made it that far North yet :D

All joking aside, I do not see it as being very wise to trust an expensive battery to a low budget charger.

I have one of these...

SE-82-6 - 6 amp 2 amp

that I added a second set of clips on to keep both of my main batteries charged all the way up from time to time. I just put it over on 6 amps to bring both back up at the same time overnight BUT I do not use wet cell units that are as sensitive to charging (or worse yet over charging and boiling off water) so for me this type of charger for my needs works well.

Now I have heard very good reports on this vendor for keeping a battery on a charger for longer periods of time

Why Batterytender - Batterytender.com

Even then Lou I would check with the OEM of your battery (most have websites) and see what they recommend?

I agree with Dave. Check your battery manufacturer to get their recommendations.

Mine recommends the Tru Charge 20+ Battery Charger for the batteries on our 210CC.

Batteries are never "cheap" so do all you can to protect them.

I'm not recommending my charger to "recharge" the battery. It is only made to maintain an already charged one. To charge a battery, I have a mechanic's grade Craftsman 200 amp charger/starter.

Back