WX Weather Satellite

MolarBoater said:
Has anyone subscribed to XM weather satellite radar? Like to hear any opinions.
I talked with a gentleman last week that uses a garmin system that has xm satellite weather & radio. He said to him it was not worth the monthly $60 service fee he was paying XM for the service & radio. He told me the el cheapo package without radio cost over $30 a month. I have been looking into this also. Any information you have to share on the subject would be appreciated.

As long as you do not go real far offshore (8 miles or so pending how high you can climb up on your boat) you can pull looping radar images on your internet ready cell phone as another low cost solution.

http://www.weather.com/services/phone/?from=footer

And if you know in advance when your cell phone service dies while heading out, you could log on one last time and zoom the radar picture "out" to get a larger current coverage area.

Now it won't save you from the storms that blow up real fast in the summer months here again, when you see the birds split... One would be real wise to boggie home with them :shock: God builds birds with some pretty good weather sensing equipment you know :D !

Just read about "The Weather Channel's" marine forecasting units. Pretty nice, tons of features like surface water temps, etc. and will become compatible with Raymarine and possible other new electronics in the future. Cost for the receiver & antenna is $1,500 after rebate, $80 activation and either $695/yr or $395/6 mo subscriptions. Right now it is only available with laptop or Maptech i3 nav/display.
Garmin's is cheaper but still have to be in a never ending loop of monthly payments forever to subscribe. My wife and I have XM sat radio and enjoy getting Fox News and all the stations, maybe they will come up with a "Family Plan" to include Radar. Could use this in an auto, say if a tornado is coming down the interstate.......could be a worthy "business" expense for those who have corporate vehicles.

Back