Yamaha or Suzuki 90 hp ??

randyf

Registered Member
City
Crystal River
I am planning on buying a new Skiff I want to go with a 90hp four stroke outboard.

The Yamaha's are the most popular but the more I read about a Suzuki the more I am leaning towards them.

Anyone have any to say about the Suzuki's??

Hi Randy. I owned a Suzuki 140 4-stroke on my first Triumph 210 and then a Yamaha 150 4-stroke on my 215. My Suzuki was a little quieter than the Yamaha. The thing I found about the Suzuki was that there were not many authorized support dealers in my area at the time. Getting the Yamaha serviced was much easier to do. That might be a consideration to think of. Check to see if you can get the Suzuki serviced near where you use the boat if you are away from your Triumph Dealer.

Both good engines and as reported to me by the dealer I use that carries all makes, fewer warranty claims are being made on the Zuke than all the rest here of late.

Downside, that black paint does NOT help one run cooler here in Florida so you may be forced to run a 89 if not 91 Octane fuel to help keep it from knocking and pinging in the dead of summer ;)

Why not the Honda? Nobody builds more engines world wide than Honda and they have always built nothing but 4 stroke outboard engines. I think you will find that the low end output on the Honda is better than the others due to some newer technology they now have.

Own a Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke. Works great, no problems. The 70 and 90 2 strokes are almost the same.

randyf,
I have the 4 stroke Yamaha on my boat and I love it.If I was going to buy the skiff and I may soon I would look at the 90 HP Honda.It is a new design and the fuel consumption is way down from earlier models.Like Putershark said Honda makes some great engines.Check out the service centers where you live.Like Randy said,it is very important to have enough places that will work on your outboard to insure you can find a good mechanic and not be forced to use the only one thats nearby.Good luck on your decision.
John D.

I don't know if you are aware that Yamaha has a performance bulletin out on the skiff running their 90hp. Search their website for more info. on this.

It's hard to find a bad review about Suzukis and the ones that I have read traced their problems back to simple fixes like kinks in the fuel line which would cause any manufacturers engines problems. Common traits of Suzukis are quiet, low fuel consumption, and very reliable.

If you're interest in max. top speed, I suggest you run the calculations on which engine, lower gear ratio, and prop size gives you the best results. They are probably all within a few mphs of one another in their optimal cruise/mpg range. There might be more of a difference if you plan on running at WOT most of the time in which case maximum pitch and rpms (at the prop) will win that race.

Back