2005 Triumph 17 CC - OK for Long Island Sound?

LawyerFrank

Registered Member
State
New York
Hello group! I am 71 years old and considered quite fit for my age, but I'm wondering if (as a first power boat) I could manage a 17 foot Triumph CC being offered by a local seller without a motor. It apparently has a Yamaha 704 Remote Control & Wiring Harness - but again, no motor, so I would also love a recommendation on powering this vessel. I'm recently retired and just want a safe, comfortable, affordable boat to fist the L.I. Sound. Seller has a brand-new, uninstalled, 2.5 hp Tohatsu 4-Stroke Kicker Motor, also included. Additional equipment includes a blue Bimini top, anchor, rode, 6 bumpers, EZ Load Trailer (excellent tires) and Uniden marine radio. I am going to look at it on Tuesday morning. I'd greatly appreciate the opinions of this knowledgeable group!

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

• Triumph 17 CC.jpg
    Triumph 17 CC.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 12
I owned the smaller version, 2008, 150 CC. I loved that boat. Easy to trailer. Mine had a 60 HP four-stroke Yamaha. Although it was small, I always took it out on the Chesapeake Bay. I had no need for a kicker motor as the boat went slow enough to troll or run a trot line.

I am now on my Third Triumph but miss the 150CC.

Max HP for you 170CC is 75HP. For open waters, I've always been a fan of going with the max for your boat. I would think for most reasonable conditions, you should be fine in the sound.

Heck yeah. That voat would be perfect for where you want to boat and fish.

I cannot agree more about a modern outboard at the max power for which the boat is rated.

It's not an issue of hot rodding. Or going fast. It is all about efficiency. The larger outboard will work less than a smaller one to move you along at the same speed which will give you better fuel economy. A new nice new outboard on that boat would be fantastic for where you are boating.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Wow! What wonderful (and prompt!) advice. Going to take a look at it tomorrow morning. Thanks to all who responded!
Heck yeah. That voat would be perfect for where you want to boat and fish.

I cannot agree more about a modern outboard at the max power for which the boat is rated.

It's not an issue of hot rodding. Or going fast. It is all about efficiency. The larger outboard will work less than a smaller one to move you along at the same speed which will give you better fuel economy. A new nice new outboard on that boat would be fantastic for where you are boating.

Let us know what the outcome is.
Well, the original boat owner of the 17cc "blew me off" saying she had a family member who was interested. I found another one - one state away, and have reached out to THAT seller. I'm trying to get the person on Long Island to let me come look at her boat, but she seems quite unfriendly. Meh... even if I have to take a long drive, it'll be worth it in the end.

Attachments

• 2005 Triumph.jpg
    2005 Triumph.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hello group! I am 71 years old and considered quite fit for my age, but I'm wondering if (as a first power boat) I could manage a 17 foot Triumph CC being offered by a local seller without a motor. It apparently has a Yamaha 704 Remote Control & Wiring Harness - but again, no motor, so I would also love a recommendation on powering this vessel. I'm recently retired and just want a safe, comfortable, affordable boat to fist the L.I. Sound. Seller has a brand-new, uninstalled, 2.5 hp Tohatsu 4-Stroke Kicker Motor, also included. Additional equipment includes a blue Bimini top, anchor, rode, 6 bumpers, EZ Load Trailer (excellent tires) and Uniden marine radio. I am going to look at it on Tuesday morning. I'd greatly appreciate the opinions of this knowledgeable group!

Thanks,
Frank
i have a 06 17-foot dc, i get around the bay just fine.

Hi LawyerFrank and welcome to the website. If you'd like to participate in the Triumph Boat forums we invite you to support the site as a Premium Member subscriber. You can learn more here:

Randy
admin

I owned and operated Triumph 191 SC in LI Sound for two seasons and my experience was mixed. Under calm to less than 10 mph winds and\or waves less than 2 ft, it was acceptable. Any conditions rougher than those, it was uncomfortable to scary at times. YMMV.

don't know what kind of gas mileage you expect to get but I get 6 miles per gallon with my 50 Honda on a 17 foot Center Console. I have planed it off and cruised with five people aboard although several were kids
Any rate anything from a 50 to a 70 will work fine on that boat in my opinion
On a small light boat, the extra weight of a larger engine can be a disadvantage not an advantage at times

Back