215 F150 speedo problem

MZBHAVN

Participating Member
City
Wake Forest
My speedometer quit working on my 215 CC. Chad Merritt told me to trace it out and see if I could locate a problem. I noticed water in the black hose that runs from the engine to the transom seat. In this was a splice point for the water hose for the speedo and it had seperated. Put it back together placed new zip tie on it and the speedo works again.

That happens from time-to-time. The nice thing about speedos on a boat is that they are really simple devices. It's almost always a plug in the inlet hole on the engine or a loose connector in the air line. Glad you're back in business.

I will have to check mine out...It is not working either...

Hate to be a newbee and I am sure that this will make sense when I can look at my boat... but where on the engine am I looking for a plug? down near the prop where the intake is or is there a separate hole for this? Mine just went out on Sunday and I haven't had time to get to look at it. Nice to read that it might be an easy fix. Thanks.

On mine (Suzuki) I have digital gauges, when they don't work is is usually a fuse has blown.

Depends on the motor...

Hi Shallow,

Depends on the brand of motor. On my Yamaha, there is a tiny (32nd of an inch, perhaps) hole below the anti-cavation plate in the front of the lower unit.

Just tilt up your motor, get a flashlight, have a seat, and look for the hole.:D

At the end of the day, since I boat in salt water, I force some fresh water from a hose in the hole. You know you hit the spot when the speedometer responds.

Hi Shallow,

Depends on the brand of motor. On my Yamaha, there is a tiny (32nd of an inch, perhaps) hole below the anti-cavation plate in the front of the lower unit.

Just tilt up your motor, get a flashlight, have a seat, and look for the hole.:D

At the end of the day, since I boat in salt water, I force some fresh water from a hose in the hole. You know you hit the spot when the speedometer responds.

Same here with my Mercury...a very small hole to look for. You should see the tube for the speedo connect just a couple of inches above it.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Back