Cold weather diveing

ReelDive

Participating Member
City
Chipley
OK I'm a nut!! did 4 dives this month off PC. Water temp 60 or less. I look at the NOAA site for the marine forcast and head out whene seas al 2 ft or lesss this time of year. Small boats can get a little rough to board when the water and the air temps are 60 or less.

The good side is viz beter that 50' on most wrecks -- and for the steel slingers-- lots of legal size grouper. The 190bay is a great platform for up to 4 divers doing photo but would not recomend it for more that two spear fishermen (Steel Slingers)

I always insist that my divers tie off on gear lines and remove their bc&tank in the water. then lift them onboard via the swim ladder. Less chance of a misshap.

Big bonus -- haven't seen any sharks sense the water temp droped below 70.

Going to escape to the Keys next month --- gotta get warm

Yes that how my boat is set up, dis-imbark gear in the water & attach to lines. Sad part...Is that i have had my boat now for almost 5 years, and have not done a dive off her.....I just hate cold water.....I have a new buddy down here...he dives..perhaps this summer I will get a chance to beak her in.

SOUNDS NICE TO ME to cold in N.J. Dive safe and come up slower then your bubbles!

SOUNDS NICE TO ME to cold in N.J. Dive safe and come up slower then your bubbles!
OK I'm a nut!! did 4 dives this month off PC. Water temp 60 or less. I look at the NOAA site for the marine forcast and head out whene seas al 2 ft or lesss this time of year. Small boats can get a little rough to board when the water and the air temps are 60 or less.

The good side is viz beter that 50' on most wrecks -- and for the steel slingers-- lots of legal size grouper. The 190bay is a great platform for up to 4 divers doing photo but would not recomend it for more that two spear fishermen (Steel Slingers)

I always insist that my divers tie off on gear lines and remove their bc&tank in the water. then lift them onboard via the swim ladder. Less chance of a misshap.

Big bonus -- haven't seen any sharks sense the water temp droped below 70.

Going to escape to the Keys next month --- gotta get warm

THe cold exscape to Key Largo was great!! Dove with SEa Dwellers of Key Largo. Thier boat docks right behind the Holliday Inn so you can walk to the boat from your room in your wet suit. Viz was 80+ on Molasses Reef with water temp 76 deg. Also dove the wreck of the HMS Benwood, a WWII British freighter. Great dive!

Sense the viz \ warm water fix to the keys, we've mad only 4 dives. 2 in the springs (water temp a balmy 68 f) and 2 in the gulf (temp = < 58 F)
3 mm 2 pc + hood & gloves and it's do- able.
got 2 flounder, 4 sheephead, and one grouper. enough to share. Took a few pic's but viz was < 12 -- even in the springs.

Waiting for the gulf to warm up----- not ----will dive anyway--- Any one up to it? Sat looks good. seas = 1-2 inshore and air temps to reach mid 60s

Next time out I need to take a pic of the clutter that 3 divers + gear and ice can make in a 19ft boat

Last edited:
Back