Connector problem on Garmin GPSMap 535s

FishinFool

Participating Member
City
Aiken
Have a 535s that works great but the 19 pin connector on the head unit has 3 pins missing and the barrel of the connector is broken so that it loses power every time the boat hits a wake. The connector can't cost more than $15 bucks but so far paying Garmin $250 for a rebuilt unit seems to be the only solution. I've taken the head unit apart thinking the connector would have an OEM part number, but there was none.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Battling with a issue much the same on my older Garmin :(

• Try using some Glue (if you still have the pieces?) on the cable retaining ring.
  • I am going to try using my extra / spare power cable that I use to plug into the truck lighter and see if that helps? This will at least tell me where the loss of power is when I hit a wave. The pin connectors on the head unit or the normal installed power cable that runs into the console?
  • I also just picked up some di-electric grease for the pins on the head unit thinking that my also help take up some of the air gap on those worn pin connectors.
  • As far as the broken pins go, either solder way or get a rebuilt unit is the only two options for that issue that I can think of.

Yikes, always concerns me when folks attempt to open up their electronics. Hopefully everything went back together ok. Your best bet is to pay Garmin to repair or replace the unit.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

PA now why would that concern you? It's not like it is a old TV picture tube that is retaining a ton of power.... If it does not work now or has an issue the math is really pretty simple. One cannot divide zero and you cannot loose what you do not already have :cool: One can always send it in later on if needed, hard to make it much worse you know.

I lost the functions (including power) on my old CD deck and took it out and half apart and dried it with a hair dryer. Reinstalled it and it started to work just fine again. So much for being "water proof" and saved me money by doing it myself ;)

I guess you did not take things apart as a kid (working or not) which is all part of Motor Head 101 :D Well some of us poor people out here just never quite grew out of that stage :p

I took stuff apart all the time, and still do :D. I also repair marine electronics for a living, in addition to installing them. It has been my experience that most "home repairs" end up making things worse once I get inside the case. That is all.

Pamarine and Putershark,

Thanks for both your concerns and thoughts. As an electrical engineer though, I guess I'm used to taking stuff apart, troubleshooting it, and getting it back together. Sometimes you "can know too much" and that is whats bothering me about the $250 for a $15 connector!!

Tony

Hey, as long as you kmow what you're doing, I say go for it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Back