First Pacific halibut of 2019

Anchor Point

Participating Member
City
Fortuna
State
California
While not a huge fish, it sure made my buddies day hooking up to the first halibut of the season. Heck, it made my day to. We put this mid 20’s pacific over the rail within 45 minutes of dropping in on a purple haze godfather rig. I have a hard time fishing for halibut due to my short attention span, so I was super happy to put this on the boat before the south wind killed the bite and pushed us off the water.BCACD62E-4E23-44DF-B885-34A00D0FEC2F.jpeg

Where were you fishing?

No, no. Not looking for numbers, just wondering where on Earth you are? We have a big Pacific halibut fishery here where I live. The back of that boat looks eerily familiar..... Just wondering

Lol. It should look familiar. Got it on the 51 in 290’. Where have you been Martin? The fishing has been good and your boat hasn’t moved.

Mrs offshoreman took me on a multi-week cruise to the Hawaiian islands and Mexico. We went with a couple that are friends from southern California. We had a fantastic time. It was a retirement gift for me. And probably a honeymoon redo, cuz the first one didn't happen.

We got home Sunday, I was out fishing Tuesday. I caught a small Pacific and an olive out in 300. But a 7 hour drift for nothing. We heard one other boat that had one on board. When we left, the charters were still drifting.

Glad to see you got a good one.

That sounds like a fantastic time! Hopefully the ocean lays back down so we can get out there again. It sounds like there are some bluefin mixed in with the albi’s moving up the coast. How awesome would that be?

While not a huge fish, it sure made my buddies day hooking up to the first halibut of the season. Heck, it made my day to. We put this mid 20’s pacific over the rail within 45 minutes of dropping in on a purple haze godfather rig. I have a hard time fishing for halibut due to my short attention span, so I was super happy to put this on the boat before the south wind killed the bite and pushed us off the water.View attachment 20253
Looks like your norther. Pacific halibut

Back