Gafftop and Bull Reds

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
Well, took my first bonafide fishin' trip on the Mikaela Rose weekend before last.....under a full moon, on a calm sea and light breezes. Couldn't ask for better weather. And the fishing was great! 41 gafftop, six bull reds, all between 35" and 41". Released all but one of the bull reds. My cousin wanted to try smokin' it. And a couple of lane snapper, and a sand trout to round out the catch. If I don't look happy, it's because it was 2am and the ol' bod just didn't know how happy I was. And there were still all those catfish left to clean:eek:.

Mike

Attachments

• Too many gafftop to lift.JPG
    Too many gafftop to lift.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 37
  • Gafftop, snapper, trout.JPG
    Gafftop, snapper, trout.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 37
  • One of six bull reds.JPG
    One of six bull reds.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Moonrise on the Gulf.JPG
    Moonrise on the Gulf.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Port Aransas at sunset.JPG
    Port Aransas at sunset.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 30
Looks like you christened the "Rose" well!! Nice pics. What's for dinner?

Last edited:
Excellent!

Great job and thanks for the pics.

Reds and Cats

I have released many Gaff Topsail Catfish believing them to be poor table fare. Reading your post, this must not be entirely true for everyone. Please share the experience of cooking and eating these fish.

I have cleaned freshwater catfish preparing for cooking. Cleaning is not the issue. There is significant variation in the quality of FW catfish depending upon the specie and the water where they are caught.

Thank you.

Mornin' Jim,
I've been catching and eating gafftop for well over fifty years. Started down here on the TX coast with my Granddad, who taught me to "think like a fish." I've read many posts in lots of forums about peoples' aversion to these "slimiest of critters," but really, they're cleaned like any other cat, as far as I know. Can't be sure, 'cause I've never fished for or cleaned any FW fish, including cats. I just skin 'em and fillet 'em off the boat, then when I get home, cut out the lateral blood line and further cut into chunks. Grandma always just rolled them in cornmeal and fried, I do that at times or sometimes dip in egg then in a flour/cornmeal mixture and fry. Although I've never caught and prepared FW cats myself, I've eaten a lot of it, and it's very much like the gafftop that I prepare. It's a firm flesh, but if anything a little less firm than FW cats, but mild in flavor. If you don't take out the lateral blood line, that part cooks up dark, and slightly fishy in flavor. In Texas, we have a minimum 14" size limit, to help protect the species. But since they are still plentiful, there is no bag limit yet. I've caught them in the murky shallow bays around the coastal bend, in the Corpus Christi channel, and out in the clearer waters of the gulf, just off the jetties, and have never noticed any difference in quality or taste. Anyway, down here folks have been catching and eating gafftop forever, I guess. My littlest granddaughter (one of two after whom I named my boat) upon tasting gafftop for the first time, said, "good chicken!" Now, all that being said, I prefer fresh caught speck, flounder, tripletail, or small red, over any cat, but in the past, not having a boat, I found myself usually going after the easier and more likely caught gafftop. Now that I finally have my boat, and subsequently more access to different waters, that may well change.

Cooking Cats

Thanks for the reply. On the next Florida Gulf trip, I will keep some Gaff Top Sail Cats to give them a try. We often practice "catch and release". Catch 'um and release into hot peanut oil.

All righty Jim, I'd be interested to know what you think after you've tried 'em.

Back