Greetings from San Diego

Chuck 'n Duck

Registered Member
City
San Diego
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new owner of a 2008 Triumph 190 Bay. This is my first boat, and I've been drooling over the 190 Bay for 2 years now. I've added Lenco Troll 'n Tabs, and this is the perfect machine for fly fishing inshore and coastal Southern Cal waters for everything from Spotted Bay Bass to Mako and Blue Sharks. We couldn't be happier with every facet of the boat.

I'd like to start my time on this forum by thanking the members who have posted so much helpful information here - you all played a major role in our selecting a Triumph, and we're grateful for all the valuable info. Thank you!!

Chuck

Welcome Chuck and have a great time with your new 190 purchase. I just completed my first year with my 215 and have thoroughly enjoyed it, as well as the many informational posts on this website.
Steve

Welcome aboard Chuck and congratulations on the 190 Bay. We'd love to see some photos of your boat with the Trolling Tabs on it. That sounds like a setup I would be very interested in. :)

First off, it's always nice to have another Chuck on board...welcome. Now a question...Do you fly fish for the sharks as well as other species? That would be something I would love to try! Lots of pics please.

Tight lines.

Welcome fellow san Diegan....where did you buy your boat...was it at sea witch?? awe and shark season is slowly approaching..can't wait.

Responses to All

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. To answer everyone's questions:

NCAngler - I've attached a pic of the Troll 'n Tabs below (hopefully I've done uploaded it correctly). I had the batteries (1 for each motor) installed in the CC, and from there I have a 20' cable that connnects to a foot pedal - I can run the motors from anywhere on the boat. At full power, I can make about 3 knots in still water, or hold steady when drifting. I can also literally rotate the boat 360 degrees within its length.

cagrove - Yes, we fly fish for Makos and Blues down here, typically with 10-12 weight rods. You can go after the smaller ones with lighter stuff, but you're best off if you can get the upper hand early. I have a picture attached of a ~70 lb. blue who took a liking to our chum bucket (this was taken before I got my boat). We're releasing everything we catch, as the Makos are especially overfished here.

katfish and fridaysoff - Thank you!

Genelie - Thank you! Yes, I bought it from Sea Witch at the January Boat Show. My wife knew she was in trouble when we walked around the corner to see a special on their last 2008 190 Bay. I'm getting out on the water as much as possible so when the sharks arrive, my boating skills are up to the task. Hope to see you out there!

Chuck

Attachments

• TrollNTabs01.jpg
    TrollNTabs01.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Blue-Shark-Chum-Bucket-001.jpg
    Blue-Shark-Chum-Bucket-001.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 147
Sweet setup Chuck. Any idea yet how long you can run the tabs off the batteries? Very :cool:

I don't have a good gauge at this point, other than I know I haven't drained the batteries yet... :D Peter Piconi (a fly shop owner and guide here in San Diego) was the one who introduced me to them; he uses them heavily when guiding on San Diego Bay in his much heavier glass boat, and I don't believe he's had any issues with batteries going out before his charter is done. As of this point, I've been using mine primarily to set myself up on a drift, occasionally to maintain position when I get into fish, and to quietly ease into shallower areas of the bay.

I'll be happy to post more info once I have more to share.

C

cagrove - Yes, we fly fish for Makos and Blues down here, typically with 10-12 weight rods. You can go after the smaller ones with lighter stuff, but you're best off if you can get the upper hand early. I have a picture attached of a ~70 lb. blue who took a liking to our chum bucket (this was taken before I got my boat). We're releasing everything we catch, as the Makos are especially overfished here.

Chuck

That's it! I'm packing my 10 wt Sage in the tube right now and calling the airlines...where shall I meet you? ;)

That sounds like a really fun thing to do. Way cool!

Come on out! You may want to let the water warm up a bit, though... Usually May-October is your best bet, especially for Makos.

It is a blast - even smaller Makos will cartwheel 6' out of the water. Last time we went, my wife had about a 90-pounder that jumped at least 9 times before it broke off (we were using 20# class tippet).

Seriously, if you have interest, let me know. My own experience with sharks is limited to going out with guides, but one of my reasons for getting a boat was to be able to fish on my own. I can refer you to a couple really good guides or we can go out on our own; I just don't want to misrepresent myself as a Captain.

C

Come on out! You may want to let the water warm up a bit, though... Usually May-October is your best bet, especially for Makos.

It is a blast - even smaller Makos will cartwheel 6' out of the water. Last time we went, my wife had about a 90-pounder that jumped at least 9 times before it broke off (we were using 20# class tippet).

Seriously, if you have interest, let me know. My own experience with sharks is limited to going out with guides, but one of my reasons for getting a boat was to be able to fish on my own. I can refer you to a couple really good guides or we can go out on our own; I just don't want to misrepresent myself as a Captain.

C

Actually, I think for now I'll have to add it to my Fishing Bucket List...something to do before I'm done on this earth.

If I ever get the chance to visit the left coast, I may drop you a line.

Take care.

Back