Hello everyone newbie from mass

logicalwave

Registered Member
City
Blemont
I just pick up a 2000 21cc with a honda 130 that has been sitting for a few years. Hopefully with the help of folks in this fine site, i can bring back to life over the winter.
What's the performance of this boat/motor combo, underpowered?:confused:
Thanks Ray C

Welcome aboard Ray. I've got the same rig, with a few mods. It's no speedster, but I get the last laugh at the gas pump.

Congrats! I have the same boat and motor but an '03.
Rough performance numbers (trailered, t-top, ~50 gals., 1-2 people, 15" pitch, 3 bladed alum. prop, gps, floscan) if memory serves: 750 rpm 3'ish mph @ .3 gph, 3700-3800 rpm 20-22 mph @ 4.5-5 gph, 5000 rpm 29-30 mph @ 9.8-10.2 gph, and WOT 5600-5700 rpm 33'ish mph @ 14.5 gph

While not particularly fast when compared with say an 150hp or larger motor, the BF130 is a work horse and has never caused me any problems. I do minimal fishing and mostly take my family and friends out sight seeing and tubing. It's never had a problem pushing my boat with half a dozen adults and a full compliment of kids or pulling a 3 person tube filled with adults and with 3 adults and several kids onboard.

To save you some time and money, I've tried a powertech 3 bladed SS 15P prop and 4 bladed SS 13P prop and found the factory aluminum prop seems to provide equal to or better overall performance than the other two SS props. I've tried raising the motor one hole from the bottom to increase top speed but really think this is a draw at best because I now experience some cavitation in semi-aggressive turns with negligible gain in running efficiency or top speed when loaded with more than 2 people on board.

I have found that if I run 93 octane gas the motor will turn a couple of hundred more rpm (5700) than when running 87 (5500) as indicated using a floscan digital tach.

In closing, it's a quality, work horse of a motor that is more than adequate to power the 210. Enjoy!

Ray, there was a recall on some Honda 130 Motors for possible cracks in the block & head. Google it and check the serial number list to see if yours is included. It's covered by Honda for ten years. You might squeeze in if affected. Mine wasn't one & I've had no issues.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Bill; I did check # on the recall and sadly it does fall in range, I guest i'll try to make some friends at local honda dealer.
Cmark; those performance numbers are great as do mostly trolling for strippers.
Well, teardown has started and i will have some questions after the pressure wash. I'm not too good with posting pics yet so i"ll be begging the wifey soon. Thank again ,Ray

Hey Ray. Welcome and good luck with the new rig. I had a 2002 and loved it, but I couldn't resist the urge to move up to the 235. I'm interested in hearing what you need to do to it to get it going.

Where in MA are you located and where do you boat? I am in Plymouth.

Back