Help-cant get trailer off of ball on incline???

BigBird

Participating Member
City
CHARLOTTE
Help-cant get trailer off of ball on incline???-resolved!

I have a nice sharp incline on driveway. I catch he-- everytime I try to get trailer unloaded off of truck. The part that keeps the trailer from coming off during transport prevents it from releasing. I chock my trailer wheels but trailer seems to want a harder jar against chocks than chocks can stand without sliding to release.
Anybody else had this issue of a sharp incline and unloading trailer from truck????
Thanks,
Lindsay

If the trailer does not have surge brakes (use the search tool for that fix) then when you get it off the next time... Look up into the coupler and you will see a adjustment nut. Take a wrench and loose that some so it is not so tight BUT still tight enough so the boat does not jerk back and forth when you brake. In other words, turning that nut just a few threads will make a lot of differacne ;)

no brakes

This trailer has no brakes.
Thanks for the tip.
I guess I didnt have to worry about it coming off in transit.
Lindsay

Had the same problem with my last boat in my old driveway. I used to use the yellow plastic chocks but they would slide so i glued some rubber (old bike tire) to the bottom of the chock to help it grip the driveway.

hope this helps
HTR

I was having the same problem. Not only that, but stopping/starting made a loud metal on metal noise as the hitch articulated to press and release the disc brakes.

I lubricated my trailer hitch assembly thoroughly with Lithium Grease, and both problems were solved.

hitch adjusted and problem resolved

Thanks Puter your suggestion did the trick. I just unloaded easy. Easy as an incline will allow. I want to extend my driveway when I get some extra and put a bump stop at the end.
Then I wont have to worry about a roll awy.
To high tech and swamp, I am lubed and chocked.
To everyone, keep up the suggestions to all post inquiries. I would have overlooked because I didnt know the hitch could be adjusted.
Thanks again,
Lindsay

If the trailer does not have surge brakes (use the search tool for that fix) then when you get it off the next time... Look up into the coupler and you will see a adjustment nut. Take a wrench and loose that some so it is not so tight BUT still tight enough so the boat does not jerk back and forth when you brake. In other words, turning that nut just a few threads will make a lot of differacne ;)

Can the trailer with surge brakes be adjusted as well? It seems I'm the only one with the clunk when I brake, and a clunk when I start, like there's no spring in my trailer coupling mechanism.

thanks but no brakes

Thanks for the help Swamp but I have no trailer brakes.
I did well when I adjusted the nut under the hitch. I will try it out agian this weekend.
Thanks,
Lindsay

Can the trailer with surge brakes be adjusted as well? It seems I'm the only one with the clunk when I brake, and a clunk when I start, like there's no spring in my trailer coupling mechanism.

Even after I fixed my breaks to work properly I to still had the "clunk" but I also had a squeek. All it took for me was to spray it with white lithum grease and both noises went away.

good luck
HTR

Oh, when I first got it, it squealed with a VENGEANCE! I could literally hear it echoeing off buildings every time I started and stopped, like Freddie Kruger was back there. Lithium grease fixed that as well once I finally found which angle to direct the spray.

But the clunk I can feel in my fillings, even when I barely feather the gas to crawl off the line. Waaaay to loosie-goosie. Maybe the trailer's just low on brake fluid, I'll have to check that.

That would make sense if it was low on fluid. there is not a seperate reservoir on mine. you just fill up the master cylinder. You could also have air in the lines. bleeding the brakes wouldn't hurt.

Back