Home Made Jigs

Codfish

Contributing Member
Premium Member
City
Payette
You've probably heard of the "Butterfly" jig, well I went one better and made my own "Butter" fly jig. I used just the handles from old stainless steel flatware knives. Drilled a hole for a split ring in the nose (heavy end) and crimped on two hooks. Then put some stick on colored flash material to attract fish and fishermen. They cost less than a dollar apiece and fish just as good as the $12 kind. Give it a try.

Codfish

Attachments

• Various 012_640x480.jpg
    Various 012_640x480.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 59
Yeah, she knows. I bought the knives at the local thrift store, St. Vincent dePaul. (.25 apiece). That was the biggest single expense for components.

Codfish

Cool

Looks good To Me. I will have a few in the boat for the May opener at Swiftsure.

WHTSAMBO,

Let us know what species you pick up with them. They work good for all the bottom fish in this area. I hope they will work for tuna also.

Codfish

This is a great and thrifty idea. I will be all over it when I get some time. Just like most things, "homemade" is a wonderful thing, and sadly becoming a bit of a lost art......

CODFISH,
Don't throw the cut off blades away! They make an excellent lighter spoon type lure.
You can see they are very much the same shape as a bait fish. Be sure to grind off any serrations and smooth all surfaces so the line will not be cut.
Light enough to use on a #9 fly rod set up!
They work GREAT!

HIGH&DRY

H&D,

Didn't give it much thought since they are so light but to use as a surface type lure, on a fly rod, they would work great for coho salmon. Thanks for the information. Will have to go buy some more. You guessed it, I threw the blades away.

How do you attach the hooks? To a split ring in the tail end?

Codfish

Codfish,

I put a split ring in each end... makes it easier for hook and attaching the line without chaff.

HIGH&DRY

That will work, thanks for the insight. I have fly fished for coho but this will be a first, blade fishing. Great concept.

Codfish

Back