How to upload waypoints from a Garmin gpsmap76 to my PC

ReelDive

Participating Member
City
Chipley
My poor old GPSmap76 is acting up. Occationally the screen goes blank except for a vertical line about 1/3 of the screen over on the left. I need to save my 0ver 200 waypoints so that I can download them to a new GPS. I've got an rs232 cable for it but no Map Source soft ware. I down loaded Map source from the Garmin web site but it wants me to have one of thier EXpensive ($160) programs. All I need is to save my way points so that I can get this unit fixed or replaced. I don't need any maps, just my waypoints.

Garmin GPS 72

Reel,

For some reason, the same problem has started to occur with my Garmin GPS 72 in just the last week.. I get the vertical line and need to unplug and remove the batteries to reset it. To this point, never had any problems with the unit. As for moving the waypoints, you may want to try Chart Navigator, from MAPTECH. You can download it here, and I think the free version will allow you to import and export points. Hope that helps!

Reel,

For some reason, the same problem has started to occur with my Garmin GPS 72 in just the last week.. I get the vertical line and need to unplug and remove the batteries to reset it. To this point, never had any problems with the unit. As for moving the waypoints, you may want to try Chart Navigator, from MAPTECH. You can download it here, and I think the free version will allow you to import and export points. Hope that helps!

Thank you. Downloaded Chart Navigator Viewer and was able to get my waypoints off my GPSmap76 and even got a printout for my hard copy archives. Looks like I can edit and transfer back to the GPS as well. I might even buy one of thier programs. Look like usefull stuff. Not going to put my laptop on the RellDive though, might get a bit wetter than Dell intended.

Last edited:
I use a Garmin 76 CSx (with their expensive maps and Map Source). Of course this works very well. However, you may also want to try purchasing the add-on for Google Earth called Google Earth Plus (http://earth.google.com/earth_plus.html). It costs $20 for an annual subscription. With this version you can upload waypoints, routes and tracks from either Garmin or Magellan GPS units. Once uploaded you can view them directly on the images offered by Google Earth. I have used for both land and sea applications. I love it!

Back