I scraped the O/B skeg! Left the motor down while trailering...

N

Nate Haler

How much skeg "removal" is acceptable, and could somebody please measure their Yamaha O/B skeg (mine is a 60 hp 4S if that matters) so I can figure out how much I left on the pavement?

The skeg is now quite flat, but I don't recall precisely what it looked like before. Should I dress the remainder with a file, maybe smooth the flat bottom into more of a dull blade effect...?

And I haven't even used my new boat yet. Maybe I'll just cry myself to sleep.

:(

Nate Haler said:
How much skeg "removal" is acceptable, and could somebody please measure their Yamaha O/B skeg (mine is a 60 hp 4S if that matters) so I can figure out how much I left on the pavement?

The skeg is now quite flat, but I don't recall precisely what it looked like before. Should I dress the remainder with a file, maybe smooth the flat bottom into more of a dull blade effect...?

And I haven't even used my new boat yet. Maybe I'll just cry myself to sleep.

:(

I feel your pain...if it's any consolation I did the same thing with my 60hp Merc. I had just returned from a fishing trip and cleaned the boat and flushed the motor. It was hot out and all I wanted to do was find some air conditioning. Well, I backed the boat out of my driveway to reposition it inside my garage and forgot the engine was down. :eek: Broke the skeg completely off and bent two of the three blades on my prop. Had to have a new lower unit and new prop. Not cheap and couldn't fish for three weeks waiting for repairs. :mad: Now whenever I lower the engine I put the boat keys on my truck's driver seat as a reminder to not do that again. :eek:

Back