Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Not a very fancy knot, but easy to tie even in the dark and strong enough to pull my boat to a dock when missed my intended target :( and I got a DOA shrimp hung into a piling :mad: ...

Also adds a lot of action to your lures as they are dropping in the water column, or for your surface crank baits that many knots would kill. The knot is a basically a bowline, but Blair was the one who instructed me how to tie this version which was not easy at first for this southpaw :) Just remember to secure the knot by pulling on the main line and not the tag end :D

Last edited:
Now who was it said old dogs can't learn new tricks

For the FCR (Flats Class Rig) which is a modified Drop Shot rig, CA Richardson recommends using the Palomar knot with a long tag end to connect the weight. So here is one on that knot that shows both the single and double styles of making that it.

Now I would never tie straight to my main line which is always braid and always have either a Mono for top water baits or Fluorocarbon leader for everything else to help the leader blend in with the background.

Tight Lines!

Seaguar knot

I spent the afternoon with Blair Wiggins not log ago and he was showing me this knot and I now use it for all my line to leader knots.

It is just as strong as the Triple Surgeons knot, but smaller in size (also faster to tie) so in case I do crank it up into the guides, it does not seem to effect my casting distance as much ;)

http://www.seaguar.com/applications/knot-guide/63-seaguar-knot.html

Thanks for the links Dave.

I will have to give that Seaguar a try. I switched to their flouro leader material and am not too pleased. Have had some slips, leader to main and jigs off the leader. If this not doesn't fix it, I am heading to the store for some more Yozuri. Had very good results with it - never had even one knot slip on me before.

Slips? That is strange for I have pulled my boat (190) to a dock via the rod and reel many times to unhook a hung bait I was pitching with Seguar using both the triple surgeons and simple loop knots ;)

Something to try when tying the triple surgeons and other knots that I do not find others always doing...

• Close (tighten) the loop a little after each trip of the lines through the circle. This helps them lay down and snug up in order of wraps.
  • Make sure you wet it and then slowly pull it snug.
  • The Seguar knot though, I have not see that as much of an issue BUT I do find I must close it very slowly to get what "I" consider is a small clean knot.
  • And then on your loop knot at the lure, I slowly close that loop and then lock it down by pulling on the main line (not tag end) so I ensure I do not have it large enough for a treble hook to land back inside and maybe cut it when casting. I also leave about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of tag end after trimming so if I have not pulled it snug enough, I have enough for more slippage if I manage to tangle with a Big Red, Snook, or Tarpon :p
I can't remember though the last time I had one of my knots slip and fail. Line failure from rubbing on something yes, but come back and looking like a pig tail (sure sign of knot failure) it has been years...

Hope this helps?

Last edited:
I am definitely going to try your suggestions with the new knots. They were pig tails :mad: and like I said, never had it happen with the yozuri. Whatever pulled them was big.:D Did pull one loose on a snag too.

Given the same test weight, the yozuri also seems more flexible and easier to tie.

Anyway, I will give it another go (might as well use it up ;)) with these tips and see what happens.

Thanks Dave!

Most Welcome Brother,
And next time you are in the area or know you are headed this way just let me know ;) We can "work" on those knots while out on the Flats from the casting deck :D

Like those knots Gator! The loop is really easy once you have it down and the Seguar knot is also working well. Wish their flouro was working though. Way too many break offs, cut lines, etc.

It's strange, but I just don't remember having so many lost fish, jigs, etc. when I was using the yozuri. But - at least there are no more piggies. :D

Glad to hear Brother!

Strange on the Seaguar and I use their 20 pound Fluorocarbon leader material all the time and even around oyster beds, do not seen to encounter such :confused:

Now I will punch it up to 30 or 40 pound "if" pitching docks, but I still do not have the break offs you encounter...

Maybe (and many forget such in the rush to grab the next fish OR after just popping one free from getting hung up on X) That you make sure you are checking those leaders AND after each landed fish! Those battles can put a lot of little nicks that you can feel between your fingers as it slides up and down and much better to either pick up another pre-rigged rod and keep on Power Fishing that same area where you just thumped that last one (don't leave fish to find fish aspect) Or replace the leader OR (if you have enough) cut out the nicked sections and retie your spoon, crank bait, etc. ;)

Pure Fluorocarbon leader material though does not stretch like mono (what I run on my top-waters) so a tiny nick in Fluorocarbon or any line for that matter, can greatly reduce how much it can handle by at least half so give yourself a few nicks and in very short order you are going from 20 pound to 5 in nothing flat... Granted you are not putting 20 pounds worth of drag on a fish with Bass sized tackle even with the drag cranked down, but it if gets hung for just a second that small short section of line really takes a beating...

And you usually do not discover a weak leader, until deep into the next battle with that nice Red and he goes "pop" and Bye-Bye when you tried to turn him from running like a Freight Train down hill toward the next Oyster Bed :eek:

But it is sweating small stuff, and always checking those "small" things (like knots, leaders, drag settings, rod guide condition, etc.) is what moves one in the 10% of the Anglers that get 90% of the fish on any given day :D

Back