Merc outboards

F

Fischer53

Currently have a 170CC with a 70 HP 2s Yamaha. Have the bigger boat disease. If I were to move up it would be to a 190 Bay. The closest dealer in my area distributes Mercs. Unencumbered by knowledge, my perception is that Mercs are not what thye used to be and that is a bit of a concern. They are also $500-$1,000 more per comperable unit to a Yamaha. Forgetting the economics issue, do I want to own a Merc? I could go to the Hull Truth, but I have have a real sense for the participants on this board and respect their opinions.

Comments, suggestions opinions?

"Unencumbered by knowledge" I like that! And I share that in common with you. :D

Fischer53 said:
Unencumbered by knowledge,

I would go to THT, Florida Sportsman, NCangler and here of course as well as BoatUS forums (check consumer complaint section and factory recalls) and look back as far as possible on the threads and see what folks have said about their motors. Be wary of those speaking of motors they have not owned giving advice as well as those "posing" to have owned all motors in question too.
Personally, it seems like most all new motors are down to splitting hairs. Check the hp you want, check the weight of the motors, noise, fuel consumption and what you have dealer access too and warranties. Make sure you buy a repair manual since they will be more helpful with understanding the maintainence needs.
I can vouch for 4 years of perfect performance with the Suzuki DF140 and will have a hard time considering any other brand now. I wasn't so impressed with the 1979 Evenrude 80 that I had but that was a different world with outboards and definitly wouldn't hold that against a new one. The E-Tec and Verados haven't been around real long so there is a bit of unknown on how true "the stories" and "info-mercials" are but have read alot about them on message boards. Of course those who own them say they are just what they were looking for. I travelled 650 miles to get my Bay 190 at a dealer that carried Suzuki's but I was only going on "the buzz" at that moment and it turned out to be better than I expected. I could go into specifics on motors that I have never owned but it would only be third hand knowledge and really, just splitting hairs on good motors. Brand loyalty for me is Suzuki but that is not written in stone cause technology is not static.

Fischer53 said:
Currently have a 170CC with a 70 HP 2s Yamaha. Have the bigger boat disease. If I were to move up it would be to a 190 Bay. The closest dealer in my area distributes Mercs. Unencumbered by knowledge, my perception is that Mercs are not what thye used to be and that is a bit of a concern. They are also $500-$1,000 more per comperable unit to a Yamaha. Forgetting the economics issue, do I want to own a Merc? I could go to the Hull Truth, but I have have a real sense for the participants on this board and respect their opinions.

Comments, suggestions opinions?

Fischer - if you can hang with the 170 for the season, I can give you a good deal on my 2002 with the Honda 130 in the November/December timeframe once I know where I'm moving to next spring. But you may want something 'new' with a warranty, etc. At least you've already seen the rig first hand.

Hi Fishcer,
I just got back from the Vineyard, picked up my boat at our spot, the Green Harbor Waterfront Lodging, where they let me keep the trailer another week! Nice folks there. The fishing was even better than when we were there, we landed MANY fish in the 30 - 35" range, in fact last Thursday, Danielle and I released at least 15 keepers, as we decided we were only going to keep one over 40" if we got it. We never did get the one over 40" but did get 2 that were 38" and 21 lbs. It was incredible, we did all our fishing at Wasque Point in the rips, which extend out for about a half mile at least and are scattered. Amazing, fish busting out chasing squid, the whole works...

Anyway, I now lean toward Yamaha, only because I own one, but I think it is like Chevy versus Ford. I do know I see a lot of the Yamaha 4 Strokes around, which does mean something. If I were to choose again, I'd go with a Yamaha 150 4 Stroke for my 210, but I love the HPDI 200!

Fishahn

I have an '01 Merc 115 saltwater series on my 186 and IMO it is a good strong, reliable motor. The former LogicDave had the 125 (it is the same motor) and I know what we put that motor through and it kept on going like a champ. Fuel economy is great as my motor sips gas at cruise. I am by no means an expert...in fact this is my first boat and I still have a lot to learn.

Just heard of a 2002 Suzuki DF140 blow up w/o warning. Uncle in law said the motor had ran flawlessly since he repowered an old Robalo. Boat had been out of the water for over a year lately and uncovered. Said he did the oil changing himself and he tends to be a perfectionist. Motor at the shop now trying to find out what they can. All motors are subject to failure that's for sure. Don't think it is a Suzuki only thing since this is the first one I have heard do that, they all can blow up though!

forgot to mention I also have a 1979 Mercury 80HP on my 15 ft Boston Whaler. I must admit it has been no problem for the 3 yrs I've owned it.

Back