New 191F/S owner from Central FL

T

Trawles

Hello. I recently purchased a new 191F/S with a Yam F150. I recently completed the break in period and plan to use the boat for skiing, tubing, cruising, and fishing. We travel throughout the SouthEast and this should be a great boat. I would love to hear any feedback from other owners. I will share info with anyone that that cares to listen. The only negative issue I have is cavitation on turns. I believe this is common with this hulll design. Any recommendations on reducing cavitation?

well welcome to the family..sorry no imput on the cavitation....

Several things can cause such,
  1. Wrong Prop (mostly pitch) is installed.
  2. Engine is mounted too high.
  3. Engine is trimmed too high for the "current" running condations.
With the common thread being that all of the above items have to do with props ablity to get a good bite in the water.

If you find all those things are in order, you may want to try one of these to help get on a plane faster and carve up the water better :)

https://bobsmachine.com/product-category/engine-performance-items/true-tracker-stabilizer-plates/

Enjoy your new toy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Trawles said:
Hello. I recently purchased a new 191F/S with a Yam F150. I recently completed the break in period and plan to use the boat for skiing, tubing, cruising, and fishing. We travel throughout the SouthEast and this should be a great boat. I would love to hear any feedback from other owners. I will share info with anyone that that cares to listen. The only negative issue I have is cavitation on turns. I believe this is common with this hulll design. Any recommendations on reducing cavitation?

Do you mean 'ventilation' - where the prop is sucking air and not water?

In addition to what Putershark said, I would also check to see that the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the hull. I have a Doel Fin on my 190 CC Honda 130. Works well, no ventilation in the turns.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the welcome and to all who replied. I believe it is a ventilation problem because I can hear a sucking noise that sounds like air being pulled to the prop, similiar to the noise you can hear in a blender. The ventilation plate appears to be even with the bottom of the boat. The prop I have is a SS Michigan Wheel Rapture 14 1/4 X 19. I can reach 5200-5300 RPM with moderate load in the boat. I believe max RPM for the '05 Yam F150 is 6000. I have been told that reducing the pitch may help and also help when pulling a skier with a full boat but it could get expensive trying props. When this problem occurs, the motor is trimmed in the full down position. The dealer is eager to help but I live about 1 1/2 hrs away and have not had time to get down there.

Trawles said:
Thanks for the welcome and to all who replied. I believe it is a ventilation problem because I can hear a sucking noise that sounds like air being pulled to the prop, similiar to the noise you can hear in a blender. The ventilation plate appears to be even with the bottom of the boat. The prop I have is a SS Michigan Wheel Rapture 14 1/4 X 19. I can reach 5200-5300 RPM with moderate load in the boat. I believe max RPM for the '05 Yam F150 is 6000. I have been told that reducing the pitch may help and also help when pulling a skier with a full boat but it could get expensive trying props. When this problem occurs, the motor is trimmed in the full down position. The dealer is eager to help but I live about 1 1/2 hrs away and have not had time to get down there.

I've heard of dealers allowing people to 'try' SS props and return them for a different size until they match up with what you're looking for. Doubt if they would do that with aluminum. Wouldn't hurt to ask!

191 Fs

My wife and I just recently purchased a 191 FS with 140 Suzuki. I had a 19 pitch prop no good I was getting about 5600 rpm. The 140 is rated at 5800- 6200. My problem was the hole shot. I just put 17 pitch on I will let you know how it goes.

Back