Newby to PO

Islandwheels

Registered Member
State
Florida
Hi, not a premium member yet, nor a triumph boat owner yet, in fact just learned today Triumphs aren’t made anymore, bummer! Anyway having a history of owning several boats, the triumph has been on the back burner for a while because of the construction material. In an effort to get my wife back into a boat again, the 170DC looks creature comefy enough (first obstacle, as hard seatless center counsels, nor deep keeled racing yachts, haven’t impressed her at all) coupled with my promise to not go offshore (still will be a tough sell) just might work! Another thing I noted was that some trailers seem to have a swing mechanism on the tongue, perhaps allowing it to fit in a garage, if so another good move. So is the 170DC a wife friendly option (comfortable)? And is that swing feature on trailer, for purpose of shortening the rig? Finally is this forum a good place to start a search for this model boat for sell?

Good Morning and Welcome Aboard!
And this Site is not just for either (Triumph or Premium only Members) so invite your friends!

I am thinking the only thing you need to do for the 170 is make the Seats more adjustable like your Truck, so you can get most comfortable. Now that one does not have a lot of space on the front casting deck (actually is very small) to go lay down and soak up the Sunshine, and I would be looking for a way to extend it further aft so you have more space to for both sucking up the rays, as well as Flats Fishing like the very late models had.

full

I would also ditch those (hate those things) exposed cleats and install folding ones in their place. This for I know as sure "God made little green apples" a big Redfish or Tarpon is going to drag you around the bow and find one and break you off :rolleyes: Still not a bad little Skiff for it's design purpose, low maintenance and easy to tow.

I do feel though in short order, due to space and ride, you will be looking for something larger. The fact that it is only 17 feet, that is just not enough hull to span much chop (18 feet or longer is much better) without falling into the trough between the wave sets, and slowly beat you to death and 2 footers just don't take a lot of winds to kick up.

As such you might want to take a look at a 190 which is a much more stable and better riding craft, and the extra room you will appreciate. As I always say, buy a Skiff or Boat for what you intend to do with it 75% of the time, and IF that is Fishing, that is what you need... If you only knew how many I have known get Dual Consoles or Bow riders, only for the Family to quit going out! And now they are stuck with it and it is not a good fishing rig at all, from stepping around XYZ stuff that is in the way all the time :confused:

And there are other options / boats naturally that will give you space and consoles that can be installed and removed that ride and fish very well! 1st one that comes to mind the Nitro series of Bass Boats, you can add and remove the side console as needed for both comfort and space ;)

For Saltwater use, just have the carpet removed (or never installed) and put down either Seadek or have Aqua Traction installed.

https://allwatercustoms.com/

And a Saltwater rated Trolling motor IF that is the ecosystem you plan on spending the majority of your time?

Hope this helps, and feel free to drop a personal PM here on the Site with your contact information, and we can either chat on the phone or Zoom Meeting online and cover things to help give you the best craft for "your" needs and budget :cool:

Best!
Dave

Back