Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Got a set of these at West Marine and had them installed the last time the boat was in the shop. For about hour of tech time (around 80 bucks) it was not worth the hassle to jack up the boat and clean out all the old grease myself ;)

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/content/view/27/83/

So far (several weeks now) they have held up very well even after several dunking into salt water with warm hubs (when most water gets inside) with no loss of oil. Now I have one less thing for me too worry about, and very easy to inspect :cool:

Highly Recommended for older trailers :D

Almost forgot,
The amount of oil that is used is like 2 oz in each hub, so you will have quite a bit left over for refills after the install which is nice ;)

Dave,
My new EZ Loader trailer has them, it did almost 1400 miles in 2 days coming down to Fl. from NY and the hubs never got warm enough that you couldn't put your hand on them and leave it there!!! After this trip I swear by them!

Russ

My '06 EZ-LOADER trailer came with RELIABLE oil bath hubs and not long after trailering it home one side started to leak.Called the ex-dealer and RELIABLE sent me a fix-it kit. You have to glue on a shim that goes underneath the inner seal. Refill with 50wt oil using the supplied syringe and it hasn't leaked since despite half a dozen soakings in alkali water (corrosive). I did not fix the other side yet because it hasn't leaked yet. Both sides doing great for two years (mostly sitting around though). Furthermore, I tried KODIAK pro lube xl oil bath retrofit kit on one axle of two on my other trailer to try it and one side blew the inner seal shortrly after completion. So now, three of four corners are BEARING BUDDIES with no problems and one is still the oil bath, also with no problems.If the one inner seal had not spun around and leaked I probably would have changed them all to oil bath. Oil bath run cooler, provide less rolling resistance(better gas mileage, and are easier to check for water intrusion though the transparent hub.Big rigs have used oil bath hubs for decades. I know it is not the same environment as a boat trailer, but some systems do work well.

Well due to a inner hub seal failure that caused a bearing to start to growl from lack of oil and salt water intrusion... I now have all new seals, bearings and a new oil bath hub system installed from a different vendor.

Turbo Lube Hub Kits

In my opinion this system has some advantages over the other one in so much that I holds more oil and since we filled them with synthetic lower unit oil which is darker in color. I will be able to tell "much" faster when I am loosing oil over the Kodiak priduct.

Now the failure was NOT due to a part of the Kodiak product and I still feel it is a good kit and STILL much easier to add oil too than the Turbo hub. The clear plastic hubs of the turbo hub kit in my eyes, makes it a better product for finding oil loss faster and hopefully before too much oil is lost ;)

Back