Santa Cruz 4/10/06

calicokid

Participating Member
Finally got out yesterday on a solo trip to Santa Cruz Island 4' to 6' swell made for good Boiler Rock action on the front side. Really loving that Diawa Coastal spooled with 15# spectra, so much so that I filled my Calcutta 400TE (stands for terribly expensive) with 30# spectra today. I hope to land a larger percentage of the WSB I hook in the weeds with that rig now, they have hurt me on the 20# mono in the past. Well I'm heading over again tomorrow we'll see how we do. I figured out how to take my own photo so here's one out of the rocks. And some washing machine action in a cove on the east side of Chinese.

Attachments

• mi's tat 042.jpg
    mi's tat 042.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 31
  • mi's tat 026.jpg
    mi's tat 026.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 27
Nice catch Calico! Sweet!

calico try this setup with your 20 lb,run about a five foot leader of fluorocarbon line as a leader with your 20 and youll find that you lose very few to kelp,most of the time the kelp doesnt get you it the side of the jaws on the white seabass are like scissors and when they kelp you it pulls the line back into the sharp part of their jaws and they shear you off.the fluoro is really tough stuff besides being nearly invisible in the water.my friend allyn watson who runs the dreamer taught me this and it works like a charm when the bite is touchy.having said that he also taught me to fish the heaviest line possible if thell eat it!

I did run a 20lb. Flouro leader on the 30lb. Spectra setup today and went 2 for 2 on the Sea Bass on Plastic with that rig Ya-Hoo!!!
Thanks for the comments guys.
Victor

Back