Stolen

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
I came across a Boat US article on tips for keeping your boat from getting stolen and thought I'd add the link here for others.
And while we are at it................
With our boats being of the size that make them easily vulnerable to theft, it's always a good idea to employ as many anti-theft provisions as possible.
So, anyone that has some good tips they use........please......share them. You can never be too careful. ;)

LINK --
http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2016...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bmag_art2_0916

Last edited:
I do the usual things with my rig. Lock on the tongue. Remove all electronics and gear. Put a chain through the wheels and trailer to the ground. But the one thing I do that I think deters any theft the most is.....

It seems that every boat I see on a trailer stored in someones driveway or yard is always backed in so it is convenient to hitch and go when the owner wants to use it. It struck me that it also makes it really convenient and QUICK for a thief to steal it as well.

My anti-theft step is....... When I park my boat after using it, I take considerable more time to Park it in the opposite direction, which while making it much more difficult for me when I'm ready to use it..... (I have to back it all the way out of my Cul-de- Sac street to get it turned around).........It also makes it near impossible for a thief to do the same without attracting attention and taking a lot of time.

A little extra effort for me is a simple deterrent and well worth it. ;)

Another often overlooked measure. Securing the trailer to the tow vehicle at the ramp. You launch your boat at the ramp, leaving the trailer hitched to your tow vehicle, but vulnerable all day. Pretty much a Smorgasbord of trailers for a thief. Two minutes and he's gone with your trailer. And you won't be back for hours.

I use the padlock that I had securing the tongue at home to lock the safety chain to my truck and the chain is bolted to the trailer and the nuts welded so they can't be removed.

tip: locking the hitch lock won't do it. They can either remove the adjusting nut on the bottom and remove the hitch lock or simply pull the pin on the hitch receiver and remove the entire hitch. So if you use a tongue lock on your trailer....make sure to use a hitch pin lock too.

Attachments

• hitch lock.JPG
    hitch lock.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back