Switching over to Ethanol Gas

Stoney

Participating Member
City
Marshfield
Hey Guys. I live in MA. Three weeks ago I purchased my 2006 170cc up in Maine. It came with a full tank of Gas w/o ethanol. I am down to just a little before "E" now and am about to switch over to E10 gas. I have a 10 Micron F/W separator. My question is what precautions do I need to take to prevent moisture from getting into my engine? I heard E10 and MTBE create a sludge when mixed. I am also trying to decide on whether or not to use K100 or a new additive call Startech. Any thoughts?

Thanks
- Mark -

When i changed mine over last year I ran it down low installed 10 micron filter and started to use startron and I have had no problems at all. I am convinced my engine runs better and I use it every time. I change my filter every fall and carry a spare on board all the time. Why do i only change mine once a year I don't get to use my boat as much as I would like.

Hey stony where in Maine did you find gas w/o ethanol? They switched to E10 at least 2 yrs ago maybe 3yrs.

I got it from Maine Yacht Sales in Kennebunkport. Not sure where the gas came from, but the dealer assured me it had no ethanol in it.

Run it down as low as you can, throw in the recommended amount of startron (I think that's 1 oz/8 gal gas) for the first time and fill it up with E10 and you should be fine. From then on stick with E10 and startron @ 1 oz for 16 gals of gas or so. That's what I did and do and I have no problems. Here in NJ all gas stations have not switched over to E10 so I had to be careful where to go to get fuel so as not to mix MTBE and E10. I went with the most convenient place to refill and will stick with them. Maybe it's all in my head, but my yammi seems to start easier and idle smoother with E10.

stoney, I have used E10 in my 75hp etech w/o additives since new and have not had any problems, it's a 2006

Good Stuff Guys...Thanks. I will be making the switch this weekend I will let you know how it goes.

-Stoney-

I swear by the stuff (Star Tron) and I was also advised to use Ring Free or Sea Foam. I use the Star Tron for Diesel in my gasoline and I was advised to use both aditives at the rate of one ounce per ten gallons of fuel.

The diesel stuff was all I could find for a while here and it works so well I figgure why change. Lol

Filled up today with E10. Added 2oz of Startron and replaced the F/W separator filter...so far so good! Thanks Again.
-Stoney-

Back