06 195cc - fuel pump died

Katsuo

Participating Member
City
Simi Valley
State
SoCal
Just had my first breakdown on the water. Was drifting with the motor idling, and it sputtered out. Wouldn't restart, had to be towed in. Fortunately I was fishing with a buddy boat.

Turned out to be a fuel pump, the "high pressure" one. They said I need to start making it a habit to open the access port on the transom and squeeze the the primer ball before starting the motor after the boat has sat unused for more than a few days. My dealer never said anything about needing to do this when we went over procedures at delivery. They say failures occur when the pump goes dry - "dusting the brushes" they called it. I have a Yam 115.

Anyone else had this problem?

I haven't had that problem but when I took delivery of my 195CC the dealer told me to pump the fuel primer if I hadn't used it in a while before starting the boat. I try and remember to do it every time and will try even harder now that I heard what happened to you. Good luck!

I haven't heard this either but will be sure to do so. Thanks for sharing this. My boat hasn't been in the water since last August! :(

Their explanation was that it would take almost daily use to keep the pump from going dry. I use my boat very regularly. It has never sat for more than two weeks without being used since I bought it a year ago.

Back