1 dead, 1 missing from washed up Triumph

Whitto

Contributing Member
City
Sydney
There is still no sign of a 38-year-old fisherman who went missing near Moreton Island off Brisbane.
A search began for two fishermen yesterday when a helicopter pilot spotted an upturned boat at North Point, west of Cape Moreton.
The body of one of the men was found late yesterday near Bulwer on the western side of the island.
The search has been called off for the night and will resume tomorrow.
Police Superintendant Allan McCarthy says there are grave fears for the second man's safety.
"The conditions at the time - there have been rough seas, variable currents, and in some cases strong winds - [make] it not only difficult for the search but also to determine what exactly happened," he said.

ABC Brisbane - Search for missing fisherman halted overnight

It has been confirmed by a friend of these men that they were in a Triumph Center Console. No details on how it happened yet.

Sad time for their families and friends.

Whitto,
I'm very sorry to hear about your fellow fishermen and my prayers go out to their families. We lost three NFL players to a boating accident in Florida a few weeks ago and it has created a lot of safety discussions on local fishing websites. I for one upgraded my safety package on my Triumph.
John D.

What a story – I read it after returning from my first day out in my new Triumph boat. It was maybe the best and most comfortable day I've ever had in a boat – the weather was perfect and the sea was flat as glass. Never for a second did I feel anything by 100% safe.

We want to think that we are safe in the water because we buy unsinkable boats - the boat maybe unsinkable, but people are not.

These two guys appear to be very experienced boaters – both working in the marine industry and regularly appearing in the press advising on various boating & fishing matters:

Warning on old EPIRBs going off - Emergency Services - News | Redcliffe & Bayside Herald
Search continues for missing fisherman - Emergency Services - News | Caboolture Shire Herald
John Meiers Fishing - Soft Plastic and Hard Body Lure Fishing
http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Ar...LEVEL-ALLYCRAFTS-DESIGNED-FOR-BOATING-NEWBIES
http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8505

I guess the details of what really happened will eventually surface, but other than the tragedy of the situation, so far the message here is - we are not unsinkable, always wear a PFD.

Yeah Rory,
These blokes were both employed at a boat dealer in Queensland and they were about as experienced as could be.
One has left behind 2 little girls ... very very sad.

Tragic.jpg

I don't know exactly HTR, but maybe this will help ...

Tragic2.jpg

As unsinkable as boats are these days, it appears that capsizing one seems to be a factor in a lot of these recent fatal mishaps...I'm not sure what the problem is, but it begs an answer as to what is going on.

I would say much of the problem is the fact that the boat is unsinkable. Some forget that even though the boat is unsinkable it is not UNFLIPABLE. I keep ropes tied along my gunwales at all times uncase the boat flips i will have something to hold on to.

The accident in the Gulf with the NFL players and their friends was reported to be a result of weather change and an attempt to free a hung anchor. We don't know the details of the accident off Brisbane, but this is another reminder that even very experienced Captains can get into difficult situations and the ocean is a very unforgiving place. Our prayers go out to these families.

Based on the seats/seat poles & trim tabs on the hull it looks like a 210CC.

Boats flipping over is a concern of mine, so much so that before taking the boat out with the kids for the first time (only last week) I explained to them that while the boat can't actually sink, it could roll over and that (a) they must always wear their PFDs and (b) use the swim ladder or side rails to climb on to the hull if the boat does turnover...and hang on to outboard leg. Having lots of experience in the surf getting dumped, falling off boards, etc they just took the idea of a boat rolling over for granted and the idea of climbing onto the hull as no big deal. Fingers cross the weather remains as perfect as it is and we never have to test the theory.

Although I agree that one should take the appropriate safety actions we will never know what actually happened in this incident or the one involving the NFL players or the missing boaters in Florida from the 17 ft Key West. The guys in the Triumph may have had experience, but I have plenty of experienced and expert folks get "cocky" and make mistakes that are just as tragic. In my years as a military officer and pilot I have seen it happen when a guy thinks because he has 2000 hours in plane that he is special and doesn't need the rules that newbies have and next thing you know he is a smoking hole in the ground.

The bottom line is to respect the water and not take unnecessary risks. While I enjoy my beer I dont drink and drive (as an example). Too many adventures have ended with the phrases: "Watch this", "I bet we can make it" or "We dont need that gear".

It is unfortunate but we all know there is risk in what we do, so just be smart and never exceed your own ability/comfort zone. Our boats are tougher than everything including us. I say this because often following a string of tragedies you will see the powers that be trying to make us safer by regulating us to death because one of our own got stupid. Sometimes the rules are good and sometimes not but they are always enacted as a snap reaction without time for thought/proofing.

I hope such tragic events dont happen, but we can all prevent them if we are just smart.

G'Day All,
John Meiers was a personal friend of mine over the past 14 Yrs and I am still in shock over this terrible accident and loss. I have spoken to Randy & he is going to post an article with some photos of John with his 215 Caos Triumph. Jason who is still missing was also a close friend who works in the boat shop only minutes away from my house. Both men will be deeply missed and Im privileged to be able to call them my MATES.

Cheers
Ozy Mark

Lesson Learnt (PFD)

Below is a pic from our last trip out to Cape Moreton. In the background you may just see the lighthouse on the northern tip. Also the site were they found the triumph beached & John's Body as well. It will now be a permanent procedure when boarding my board to strap on a PFD. I hope to see this trend follow from the harsh lesson learnt

Cheers
Ozy Mark

P.S The face (ears, nose & neck) protection from the sun is called a BUFF. Great idea down here also as the sun is so harsh, even in winter.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The policy on my boat from day has been that everyone on board wears the PFD unless we are anchored. Just like seat belts in the car, if you don't want to wear it, get out and walk.

BTW...the buffs are very popular on this side of the world also...I really like mine.

I have posted the photos and tribute here:
http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/...tribute-fine-captain-fisherman.html#post30989

Thank you to Ozy Mark for sharing this information with us. Our prayers go out to the families of John Meiers and Jason Wary. May the God of all comfort comfort them during this time of loss.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Back