19 footer that flipped here

Jan from Humboldt

Contributing Member
Late last year there was an accident up here where a 19' Triumph was flipped in the surf line by a sneaker wave. (This was attributed to operator error not a malfunction of the boator motor)

There were graphic pictures of the boat upside down on the sand with stuff strewn all over the beach, the T top was ripped off as was the grab rail and wind sheild so it had been pounded pretty good by the surf. The coast guard lost a chopper during the rescue and two of the passengers of the boat also died.

It showed up at the dealership where I had my rig worked on and I got a good close look at it and it appears that there was more minor damage done by the tow company than was actually done by the accident

I saw some deep nicks and dings in the hull but nothing you couldn't repair with a heat gun and a putty knife and there was some abrasion markes here and there on the edges.

All in all for what the boat went through it was in remarkably good shape as was the motor (Yamaha 115) so Triumph and Yamaha does make them pretty tough.

Just be safe rather than sorry and don't field test them.

Jan from Humboldt,
I remember when that happened, i don't think they were wearing a life jacket.
How much did Lee charge you for your triumph?

I see you have the 15 footer and we are looking at the 215. Have you had very many problems with your boat.

I went small and got the 150-CC with the Yamaha 40 4 stroke as I mostly fish by myself so it makes launch and retreival a lot easier.

I probably won't chase the tuna with it unless they swing in close like 10-12 miles but a run to the cape isn't out of the question with it and it handles the seas here quite well.

All things being equal were I to do it all over again I'd probably opt for the 170-CC rather than the 15 just to have that little bit of extra deck room they provide.

My neighbor has the 17 and it came with a 60 hp and it runs out pretty darned good with crab gear and the two of us in it.

The other thing that's real nice is that if I can keep my big hairy mitt off the gofast lever and just coast along at a 14-16 knot plane I can get as much as 8.78 miles per gallon. and with the prices we're having to pay here for fuel it makes a difference.

Back