Genelie

Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
I finally was able to get the boat out for the first good fishing trip of the year. I was searching for my first Threasher shark. We troll for about 7 hours for nothing...we ended up at the local kelps beds for a small variety of ling cod, sculpin, reds, and bass.....But ALL were to small , and all released unharmed. It was a HOT day on the water..7 miles out was just about right, temp was about 70 degrees, when we came into the kelp beds, temp went way up to at least 80 degrees. For southern cal that is hot!!! for the coast. But A great day none the less.

Sounds like a good day on the water (are there really any bad days?). Just curious, what do you do with a Thresher Shark when you catch one (or do they catch you?)? Are they good to eat or are they a strickly sport fish and are released? Any specialized equipment? Bait or lures? Sounds like an interesting fish to target. Congrats on getting the boat wet. Enjoy!

Threashers are GREAT eating. As for lures, you use a bait-o-matic, and or a very large repala. You could also slow troll a Mackeral.

You troll within 2- 31/2 knots. Once you hook one it is game on for a good hour or more, depending on the size. Landing the big fish can be tuff, but between a flying gaff, and tail rope, you can get it up okay.

As for catch and release, that is done a lot, for me if it is a female, I would, unless she comes up deceased. But all males are subject to digestion.:D

Thresher Sharks

Nice thick steaks on the BBQ Mmmmmmmm! Try 'em with a little Italian dressing on 'em as a marinade or just lemon-butter-dill. Be prepared the texture is very different from fish, more like steak.:D

I wonder if I could talk the DNR folks in to stocking Thresher Shark fingerlings into the Potomac River to help control their Snakehead problem....probably not. :D:D:D

Back