Small Bluefin Tuna for the 210

Fishahn

Contributing Member
City
Stowe
Went down to Cape Cod (again, 4th time this summer!) with the wife this past Tuesday thru Thursday. Went in search of small bluefin tuna, we did manage one small one (31", about 20 lbs) right of the get go on Thursday morning, we released it in hopes of a larger one since only one is allowed per vessel. Of course we never got another one! ****! anyway it was quite fun and we hope to go again soon!
we were about 10 miles off the Chatham, MA, the boat handled great and we were treated to an unbelievable whale show. tried to get some pics of the real large whales but didn't come out good due to the dense fog, but did get one of the smaller ones tails.

I've attached tuna photo with my wife, whale back photo and an unbelievable striper blitz that occured at first light on our way out to tuna grounds. we managed to pick off a few on the fly rod and spin rod and some blues under them too!

Attachments

• Blue on the Fly.jpg
    Blue on the Fly.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Danielle Bluefin.jpg
    Danielle Bluefin.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Whale back.jpg
    Whale back.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Striper Boil!.jpg
    Striper Boil!.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 43
All I can say is WOW! Tuna - Striper bliz - whale show? And I thought I had to good day today with a 37", 36", 31" and three short stirpers along with a 8lb blue to boot. I'd trade three good days striper fishing for one of those 'small' tuna.

Good to see that you two had a ball. Fischer53 and I went out last weekend and trolled tubes around for a few hours. We talked a lot about the Cape trip in June during NE TBOT. It was a great trip.

Hi Cinc,
Yes, it was pretty awesome! Can't wait to try again. May head to the North Shore of MA area next time, as it is a closer run from Vermont. I'll be keeping an eye on the reports.

sounds like you had a good day yourself as well! take it easy and we will be in touch about next years trip.

Looking good with that tuna! We were at the cape July 23rd-30th. We also went off of Chatham with no luck. It was actually a bad week of fishing at the cape, if you can believe that. The water was rough and it was very windy with little fish, though the boat handled the water very well, as long as I was going 25mph or less with trim tabs half down.

no kidding Outtahere! I was down there the last weekend of July too! Friday afternoon thru Sunday, I believe it was the 29th and 30th wknd. we should have kept in touch. my trip was a last minute excursion with a buddy of mine since both our wives were out of town. Friday was flat with tons of bait off Chatham, lots of birds working, caught many blues but only a few stripers. think we got 5 keepers in 3 days and yes the weather turned ugly on Sat afternoon and Sunday morning. 25 mph would have been a blessing, it was more like 10 mph getting in Sunday morning that weekend, with choppy 4-6 footers from the North!

next time I plan a trip I will make sure I post it here just in case one of you guys is in the area!

Back